Open Baffle Speakers…

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Yeah, at least compaired to it in a box or the Pawo. It probubly didn't do a hell of alot under 100hz. I had them on OB's to break them in, and the in a BR then the PAWO.

Like I said it gave me the taste of OB, and after much hunting and agonizing I whent with The B200. All a can say is after going to the B200 Ihave been listing to music instead of tweeking equipment. ( well, after breaking in and learning how to set the baffles up.)

Any driver can be used in OB, but the lower the Qts the more difficulty the driver has producing mid bass and bass.

'zilla

You given your Pio B20s a try in OB? They should be okay, at least.

I run Kenwood KFC-6949s in OB in my office rig (run by a T-amp), and they're really great. They've been replaced by KFC-6950s (which I haven't seen at retail yet), but they look identical in every way so I'm guessing they're really the same driver (or, if we're wishing, and improved version ;-p). I need to build some new baffles so I can reorient them (I was an idiot back when I first built them and oriented them horizontally instead of vertically) and try to kill some resonance they have, at which time I will mod the drivers with phase plugs (they actually have full top end, which I actually tame in EQ right now; that's what I'm hoping the phase plugs will smooth out so I can drop the EQ).

Actually, any bicone car driver should be a likely candidate for OB. I ran some Pioneer 163 (6.5" rounds) a year or two back that were really nice and smooth through the midrange. They don't have much excursion and a very light cone, so I couldn't even EQ in anything below 60Hz using my Emu 0404 sound card (nearly infinite adjustibility) and 100watts of power, and they rolled off pretty early at the top (I guess like the Pio B20), and that's why I upgraded. I do know they've gone into at least the 1x4 series and come in both 6.5" round and 6"x9" ovals (I'd love to see if the newere series ovals can get any bass; I actually saw these in a kit at Walmart with 2 of each and a cheap Pio CD head unit for <$100). Don't think you'd be happy with what I had full range without a sub and supertweeter, but maybe with a much larger/folded baffle (mine are only 16"x20", sitting too close to the walls).

Let us all know if you find anything cool or actually get to try anything out.

Kensai

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.