OB and deflectors - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th July 2006, 05:51 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default OB and deflectors

I am working on an idea that would incorporate relatively large (8"-10") OB widerange drivers suplemented with a hairy chested sub and super tweeters. For incorporating into the total design I would like to be able to put the OBs fairly close to the rear wall and was considering using a deflector panel to bounce the rear wave toward the ceiling or side walls in order to lengthen the path before the sound is reflected back toward the listening possition. Has anyone tried something like this? How did it work?

Also I would like some input on nice drivers of that size that would minimize the shoutiness that some WR speakers have. Cost doesn't need to be a major factor in this project but neither are we intentionally trying to use ungodly expensive drivers. I have heard that the Fostex F200A is a good possibility so I am searching for info on it right now. I would appreciate other suggestions.

mike
Old 12th July 2006, 06:23 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

I really like the F200A. It has a big, warm sound and is in no way shouty. However, it is not terribly efficient and only has a 1mm Xmax. You will have to cross it to the sub fairly high to get any SPL out of it on an OB. Of course I could be wrong, but if it doesn't work out for you on an OB, it will work great in a BR or TL.

Bob
Old 12th July 2006, 06:38 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thanks Bob. It does indeed appear that the Qes is a bit on the low side. I am having a hard time finding the params for the Visaton B200 which seems to be another possibility.

mike
Old 12th July 2006, 06:54 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Mike,

go to B200. The B200 is dead on for OB. I keep getting questions about putting the B200 in an MLTL, which won't work. Now, getting a pair in the good ol' U.S. of A. may be another problem.

Bob
Old 12th July 2006, 08:19 PM   #5
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

The B200 is a excellent OB speaker. Really good bang for the buck. Fairly beamy until you get phase plugs into them. You can buy them directly from Solen or from any Solen dealer (like me -- i'm mostly selling them modded thou)

dave
Old 12th July 2006, 10:45 PM   #6
MJK is offline MJK  United States
Account disabled at member's request

How do these reflectors work and for what frequency range?
Old 13th July 2006, 02:27 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Another OB candidate is the Hempacoustics FR8.0. Their website indicates an OB version being under development, but the regular version is supposed to be excellent (and cheaper than the B200).

BTW, both are available in the US from:

http://www.e-speakers.com

No affiliation, etc.

If you can spend more, the Veravox 7X is supposed to be excellent as well. Check with Solen as to availability.

If you can wait a bit, the 10" Hawthorne coax might be a good option (and you probably will not need the supertweeter).

Good luck.

Paul
Old 13th July 2006, 02:30 AM   #8
Corloc is offline Corloc  United States
diyAudio Member

You can get B200's in U.S. here.

http://gallery.bcentral.com/GID49565...ull-Range.aspx

Got mine there, Good people.

Chris
Old 13th July 2006, 02:32 AM   #9
tade is offline tade  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to tade
anyone thought of putting a helmholtz resonator tuned below the low cut off of the woofer behind an OB to absorb the rear wave and allow the front wave to propogate like a monopole woofer? I should think this would be like a bit of bass boost like in a bass reflex but allowing the seaker to remain OB.
What are your thoughts?
Also, that sounds like a fine idea. Wont gain you any extention of course but I think it would allow you to push the speakers back and may even add to the soundstage.
Old 13th July 2006, 02:35 AM   #10
Corloc is offline Corloc  United States
diyAudio Member

Yes, Johnincr, has been working on that. search the forum for "rlh"

Hide this!Advertise here!