Full range for my car?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi everyone!
First, I hope I'm posting this in the right place, It seemed to fit better in full range than car audio.
Now for my problem, I have been listening to my full range system in my home for over a year and have got so "stuck" on the way it sounds that I want to try the same for the car, if possible. I'm using Infinity 6" 3 way in front and Infinity 6"X9" 3 way in the rear.
Does anyone know of any full range drivers of these sizes that would work in a car?

Thanks in advance!
Travis

You can google search

But I'll warn you in advance. Not a lot of retail stores carry "fullrange" drivers anymore, that is, single drivers with whizzers (or w/o). Most all the car speakers I see anymore are coaxial or more.

You should at least spend some time perousing E-bay, where just a few weeks ago I saw some JBL fullrange speakers with whizzers in both 5" and 6" (4 ohms). They went for dirt cheap!

You could search individual corporate websites to see if they still carry these kinds of drivers. Usually, its the OEM market for the automotive industry that uses these anymore. But more and more, even stock systems are at least coax or triax.

Hi all

Thanks for the idea's! I did some searching in ebay and found a few pairs of Pioneer full range in 6.5" and 6X9. There were two or three other brands there too that I'd never heard of. Prices are quite low so maybe I'll try some. I know that Pioneer's 8" full range for the home sounds OK. (In the right box)
Thanks!

Travis

full range for car

Once upon a time there were lots of dual cone speakers for cars. Advent sold full range car speakers, and that is about all jensen sold. For what's left, google Phase Linear (now owned by Audiovox), Jensen. Check millionbuys.com, they had jensen dual cones on close-out. the phase linear dual cones are going for cheap at http://www.autobarn.net/plrs50.html

I've always been curious... full range car speakers are typically much more efficient than full range home speaker drivers, like the 3" to 4" Tangbands. Originally because car stereos were relatively underpowered, I presume. But when a car speaker is rated at 92 db SPL and the same size Tangband is rated at 87 db SPL.....

....what keeps us DIY types with low power tube amps from using full range car speakers for home stereo applications?

in the early 80s i heard a great home DIY system that featured jensen dual cone car speakers in a line array, hooked up to a low power tube amp. LOUD.

Thanks for the link!
I too remember when most car speakers were dual cone, something I had'nt thought about for years. I've been thinking about the possibilities of some of these dual cone speakers in the home. I dont think they'll compete with my 206es-r's though....
I picked a pair of Pioneer 6.5" (92db) for really cheap and have already made the baffle's to try them in my Voigt pipe's before they go in the car. I'll post the results here in a few days.

Pioneer 164 series is their current bicone. I saw a set of them at Walmart packed in with a cheap cd head unit for under $100. 2x 6.5" and 2x 6"x9". I played around with a pair of 163 series 6.5"ers a couple years back in small OBs, nearfield. They sounded fairly hifi but they didn't have anything approaching their rated bass and were lacking on the top end.

I use Kenwood KFC-6949s now, in that same rig. Much better bass, and I've actually had to take measures to tame the top end. I picked them up for $40 a pair at Best Buy, but they're closed out now, replaced by the KFC-6950s, which look the same to me, but no one seems to be carrying them at retail.

Kensai

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.