Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th July 2006, 04:48 AM   #41
navin is offline navin  India
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to navin Send a message via Yahoo to navin
Quote:
Originally posted by GM
Greets!

You sure about that? http://www.widescreenmuseum.com/sound/stereo1940.htm
http://www.widescreenmuseum.com/sound/Fantasound1.htm

Both had three discrete channels, with Fantasound's surrounds being derived since there wasn't room on the film strip for five channels.

Regardless, I don't see why it matters since today's are all discrete and in the movies that use the L/R primarily as 'fill'/surrounds, then IMO a phantom CC doesn't sound 'right'.

GM
Obviously GM, you are better informed. I had heard about 3 discrete channels but did not have any information about this. Anyway fast-forwarding to today...

I was under the impression that today's movies were mixed with 5 discrete channels of sound and in a phantom center mode the center channel is played back via the left adn right front channels.

And CD's are usually mixed to be best heard via 2 speakers.

Now if one has a CD player and DVD player connected to the same HT/AV reciever the HT/AVR will decode CDs and only make music front the front left and right channels (regular stereo) and will decode DVDs (played on the DVD player) giving you 5.1 channels with sound emanating from all 5 speakers and the subwoofers (if present).

Getting back to the topic...I get the feeling that while one can compare the Fostex FF85K/FE87 and Veravox 3 the JxR6 is another animal (it also also in another price bracket). Other than the JXR6 the others might not be useful at all below 150Hz even if paired or used in arrays of 4 or more. Right?
Old 29th July 2006, 09:31 PM   #42
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Greets!

They are, and yes they do. The point I'm trying to make is that in recent years the tonal balance has changed such that dividing the CC's output of many recent movies into the L/R 'surrounds' by the processor sound inferior to me compared to those mixed with all three channels having much the same sound spectrum to create a 'wall of sound' front stage with special effects (panning, etc.) added to the L/R 'mains'.

GM
Old 29th July 2006, 11:21 PM   #43
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to johninCR Send a message via MSN to johninCR Send a message via Yahoo to johninCR
GM,

Maybe your receiver doesn't handle the phantom center very well. I have a 9ft wide screen, so my mains are right next to the screen and I prefer a phantom center by a wide margin using my Denon. Not only did I have a problem with the center sound height, but I find panning much better than having the bulk of the sound locked down dead center.
Old 30th July 2006, 03:20 AM   #44
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Greets!

The fact that I can tell how the movie was mixed tells me it's working good enough. IIRC you use line or tapered arrays which are better suited to phantom mode than THX approved or 'FR' speakers or CD horns. If I ever get to have a front projector HT, the horns will be behind the screen with the mids/HF at 2/3 height where they belong.

GM

Hide this!Advertise here!