How best to use FE127?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm thinking about using a FE127 in combination with a T-amp or Gainclone for my new stereo system. They're certianly cheap enough, at about 35$ each at Madisound, but how should I use them?

MLTL's are supposed to work well, and the ABS pipe design at T-linespeakers.org (under http://t-linespeakers.org/projects/sampson/fe127tl.html) is very appealing. I'd like to try using an active baffle-step filter before the amplifier, though, to save money and improve sound quality.

Also, I was thinking about using a tweeter, too, if I can get access to a suitable tweeter. Is this unecessary?

Also, would you reccomend that I instead go for the TB "bamboo" driver, or another similarly-price FR option?

Planet10 (Dave) has a design for the 127 thats aperiodic. I got to hear it with modded 127's a few weeks back and they sound real nice. I'd get in touch with him, he also sell's the modded version of the 127 driver which is much better than stock. Dave:)

After hearing the differences between this and other similar drivers used in mono and bi-pole projects, I would highly recommend going bi-pole from the start.

I'll be very interested in hearing Dave's input, as he's played with many more designs. But for this kind of outlay, if you have the room, you'll be building a much more dynamic and engaging speaker.

You should look at the FE127 reference project if you
have not seen that-- it has not been added to in a while
--and will show how a build it designed from the ground
up.

I went with the MLTL design from GM with dims
that are posted on the godzilla site. I did a bit of
customization on the port but I'm still using my
scratch build made from some fiberboard shelving
which just happens to be the right size for minimal
cutting to the right dimension.

x. onasis said:
After hearing the differences between this and other similar drivers used in mono and bi-pole projects, I would highly recommend going bi-pole from the start.

I'll be very interested in hearing Dave's input, as he's played with many more designs. But for this kind of outlay, if you have the room, you'll be building a much more dynamic and engaging speaker.

I'm not Dave (just the the hack who builds all his design prototypes), but let me say that for a mono-pole the folded MLTL makes for a nifty little package, but to my ears is bested by the "Fonken".

Given appropriate floor space, the straight bipole MLTL adds an extra dimension to the soundstage over either mono-pole design, as well as increased sensitivity, and mitigates the need for BSC.

The Fonkens are the way to go IMHO. After listening to them and some of the other 127 based speakers, I decided this was the way to go. My version has slightly different port dimensions compared to Dave's. I used the xls Onken spreadsheet while staying with the 13L volume.

Jeff

Attachments

• fe127e (13l) mini-onken.jpg
    fe127e (13l) mini-onken.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 588
vinylkid58 said:
The Fonkens are the way to go IMHO. After listening to them and some of the other 127 based speakers, I decided this was the way to go. My version has slightly different port dimensions compared to Dave's. I used the xls Onken spreadsheet while staying with the 13L volume.

Jeff

The Fonken looks great. I may have to make someone else make it for me, though. (Much bribes will be in order.)

I'm listening to the reference project right now...

I built these because this was my second pair I ever built and it seemed pretty easy to build. I'm using them with a pair of Bottlehead Paramours in a pretty small room - 12 x 12.

At first things were a little on the bright side - to be honest I was disappointed compared to some JMR Twins that I was using before. They have about 100 hours on them now and they are definitely smoothing out and the bass is starting to fill in. Now, I'm pretty happy. I think I've read they have a fairly long break in, so I'm expecting them to get even better.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.