TB W4-1320 twin driver TL for 2A3 - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th July 2006, 12:03 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

All,

After some more searching on the net, I decided to try the concept out with my current particle board TL. The size of the TL is 7" wide, 7" deep, and 36" tall. The bottom is open with no port. It is a very simple design with straight pipe no folding.

I mounted a Parts Express NSB 4" driver that is slightly modified and a spare 4" VersaTronics mid woofer. The VersaTronics can only go up to 10 KHz. It can go lower than the NSB but is less sensitive. The NSB is mounted about 5" from the top and the VersaTronics is mounted 12" from the top. Both drivers are in the front.

Since I do not have any testing facility, I did my adjustment by listening. When I connect both drivers parallel, the sound is a bit scratchy. I ended up adding a 1 mH inductor in series with the NSB driver and parallel that with the VersaTronics directly.

I also removed bottom 1/3 of the polyester stuffing to "let out" some mid-low frequency from the bottom end.

The set-up as is does not play very loud, but for one single speaker, it is loud enough for me. It lacks the high end extension slightly. Otherwise, it is very nice sounding in the mid range. I am sure once I got my TB W4-1320s, they will be louder (89 vs. 86db) and with better high end extension (20 KHz vs. 14 KHz).

The most amzing part is the bass. With one NSB, I got some bass but not outrageous. Thus, I did not believe TL is good for 4" driver. With the additional 4" VersaTronics, the bass comes strong and deep.

I pulled out my 2A3 amp and connected the speaker for a quick try. As far as I can tell, the speaker works fine with the 8 ohm tap from the 2A3. Again, I don't expect loud music coming from this speaker. I don't play rock and roll with my 2A3 any way. But the potential of this design is there.

When I compared this speaker with my stanadard 6.5" Vifa 17PJ BR speaker, I could not belive my ears! I can hear the bass that was not produced by the Vifa before. I am now a believer of TL.

One thing that I could not confirm is the lobing effect caused by two drivers in the front. I don't know mounting the two drivers next to each other will make it better. I tried to stand up and sit down to detect the lobing effect but could not decide whether I hear anything different with music. I normally sit about 6 - 10 ft away from the speaker. I may need to play some test tones or pink noise to determine whether lobing is an issue or not.

Hide this!Advertise here!