4 inch fullrange comparison

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
This post is intended only to describe my personal experience with the Fostex FE126E, Scan-speak 13M/4535R, and Tang Band W4-1052. These are my own practical use descriptions and are not intended as definitive controlled tests.
The Fostex (with some cone surface mods and notch filters) produced an open airy presentation with extended treble and produced (in spite of my best efforts) absolutely no bass in the DIY FE126 ML-TQWT.
The Scan-speak (with notch filters) produced a dynamic presentation with extended bass and crappy treble in the same ML-TQWT.
The Tang Band (with cone mods) used a wide baffle 8 litre bass reflex with a 20mm Dayton tweeter (@ 10kHz series crossover) and produced an acceptable bass and treble but had none of the dynamics of the Scan-speak and seemed to need the helper tweeter.
The efficiency of the Fostex is unmatched by the other two drivers in spite of their 4ohm impedance.
The Tang Band is probably the best value and produces the best ”fullrange” sound and might warrant further experimentation. Personally, I am more interested in the Fostex as a mid-tweeter crossed around 300Hz and I think the Scan-speak would make a wonderful mini-monitor with a tweeter crossing @4500Hz.

wron (excerpt) : said:

The Fostex (with some cone surface mods and notch filters) produced an open airy presentation with extended treble and produced (in spite of my best efforts) absolutely no bass in the DIY FE126 ML-TQWT.

The efficiency of the Fostex is unmatched by the other two drivers in spite of their 4ohm impedance.

You might want to try the FE127 in a MLTL - while not suitable to thunderous SPL or infrasonic perfomance, I can attest from several examples that this driver is capable of admirable performance.

Play around with the FE126 in any hybrid/BR/ enclosure that you might like, but I think you'll find it's best in a BLH with CC approx 2 - 2.5 liters.

Yes, either the Fostex would benefit from judicious cone and basket damping treatment, and in the appropriate BLH, I'd bet my morning donut the 126 would outperform either the TB or ScanSpeak.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
el`Ol said:
I find the FE126E is a true fullrange solution in the recommended horn/BR hybrid enclosure

A TL/BR hybrid is more appropriate description. I have a set of these boxes down in Baltic Birch that someone can have for the cost of the materials.

The RonHorn A126 or the Frugel-Horn are quite a bit better than the Fostex enclosure, with -- as far as it goes -- very tuneful and well controlled bass.

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Bare said:
C'mon it's a 4" driver yer effusing over.. It would have to be made of spit, chewing gum and tinfoil to not be 'full range.
Hardly 'Voice of the Theatre' is it :)
May I humbly suggest headphones as a genuine alternate ??

4-5" seems to be the sweet spot for full-ranges. They can give satisfying, if limited bass, reach down far enough to make integrating a woofer easier, can extend up far enuff that most won't miss a tweeter, and have a sublime midrange.

dave

http://www.zillaspeak.com/fostex127eStraightPipe.asp

My 127e in Straight Pipes sound amazing on most music and get pretty loud with the cheapo SI amp. IMO a tweeter is not necessary although I have one on the back of the cabinet. One day soon I will build something similar to the great reference project and look forward to spending many years enjoying them in my living room connected to either a Cary tube amp or the SI… a powered sub will be in the mix but only because the room is big. In small rooms a sub certainly fills out the bottom but is not necessary for most music IMO. Bass is very tuneful, bouncy and detailed with these drivers… if a bit light weight. Sometimes the drivers sound a bit congested but I find it’s related (most times) to the quality of the CD or mp3, other times to loud volume levels or music type. Overall, I prefer the Fostex sound to the Tangband but others go the other way. Both are great ‘full range’ solutions but the Fostex is clearly more efficient and exciting sounding.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.