Goodmans Axiom 201 in TQWT Voigt Quarter Wave Pipe?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've found the Vas for the 301 which is an impressive 311 liters,a nd I imaging the 201 will be near that. Q is too high really for this app too. Me, I'd do an open backed cabinet for them, so it looks pretty conventional. If you cover the rear with grill cloth, she'd never notice the difference. And dipole really is worth hearing. Alternatively, this might do nicely. You'd need to adjust the vent dimensions. I'll run a sim later -I've jsut had a tooth extracted, so I'm feeling a bit light headed, and I wouldn't want to make a mistake.

Regards
Scott

Attachments

• cornerlancasterplan.gif
    cornerlancasterplan.gif
    8.6 KB · Views: 1,578
Open Backed Cabinet

Hi,

I've toyed with the idea of an open backed cabinet or 'folded' open baffle, I suppose if I built a reflex box with removable back panel, I get the chance to try both. Pity about the Voigt pipe being unsuitable, I really wanted to try that. Thanks for you help though I really do appreciate this.

RC

If you are going to use the 201's, you will land up with a big speaker which ever way you go! :att'n:

This was my first 201 enclosure, a 110 litre ported box (it's standing next to a Wharfedale Linton)

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I find the open baffles that the 201s now sit in much prettier, so show this to SWMBO and get started! :D

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I now use much narrower glass wings and TL woofers to support the bass. ;)

i have tried them in a 120x80cm baffle. Almost nothing under 120Hz, regardless how far they were from rear-side walls. Very smooth sound, too smooth to be honest. It is the speaker of choice, if iron maiden has to sound like Keny Roberts.

Amplifiers used: 20w/16ohm Tripath chip, 2A3 SE with 28H primary inductance in the primary (0,3db/20Hz at full power-3w) total 5 kilo iron per plate in parafeed. 811SE, ca.10w, plenty of iron too.

I was dissapointed, because they realy do some things very-very well.

With 120lit ported enclosure, bass was much better, but nothing special either. This maybe has to do with the cabin, which had no absorbing material.
I want to try them in a sealded enclosure, but i have to find the time to put such a monster (150lit) together.

Greetings
Konstantinos

Axiom 201 WOW!

Just tried the Goodmans Axiom 201s on an OB (very rough and ready BTW) WOW! I'm impressed, I've owned WE 755A, Axiom 80, Axiom 300/301/401, Norelco 9672, Stephens 80FR, Babb Lorelei, EMI/Decca, Jordan JX92, Audax, Beyma 12AG100, more Lowthers than you can shake a stick at and several others I cannot recall. These are the best all round drivers I've come across! I was not expecting much at all but now I'm really fired up to get some real cabs sorted out, how is it these antiques outdo even todays offerings?

RC

Hi there,
i also have a couple of axiom 201s (and another pair of 301s) that are waiting in London to be send me (got them almost for free :D ) I was wondering if it makes sence to build open baffles with 2 axioms for each side. My idea was to use the 301 as a bass driver (up to 300-400 Hz or so..) and the 201 for the rest. Eventually i would also use some alnico super tweeter to cover the upper frequency. What do you think???

Nuuk thx for your answer. I think it will be hard to find some hawthorne here in Germany. I´ve heard those drivers are designed to play in open baffles so it would be perfect solution for me. Anyone knows where can i order some of them in Europe?? Otherwise i would probably use the Visaton BGS40 (same bass x-over as in NOBOX)

derik736 said:
Hi there,
i also have a couple of axiom 201s (and another pair of 301s) that are waiting in London to be send me (got them almost for free :D ) I was wondering if it makes sence to build open baffles with 2 axioms for each side. My idea was to use the 301 as a bass driver (up to 300-400 Hz or so..) and the 201 for the rest. Eventually i would also use some alnico super tweeter to cover the upper frequency. What do you think???

Hi I have a pair of 201 and a pair of 301's

side by side you would choose the 301
it has more 'life', is lowther fast. and has more top end..
but both are very good
the 301 has more motor power( bigger magnet) and is more efficent (about 3-4db's more)

i think they are better than the emience based drivers..
( the 301's cost more too?)
including the hawthornes . the emienece + fostex is much better in my veiw

i run mine in OB with ex4 on mids and top end duties

using one 301 per side sounded good.. but a little thin in the bass (only a little)
adding a second transformed things ( i used a 61 which is the same except its without the whizzer cone),
this provided much more of a very balanced sound...

i'll never go back to horns or boxes..

the bass is deep, very fast and very detailed and works very well with the lowthers... i was suprised when i put them together

i don't think there are many 12" drivers at the level of 301's
but quite a few at the level of the 201.
...and they work very well a couple of watts from Englands finest DHT's from the 1930's

steve

That's interesting Steve! I always assumed the 301s were the same as the 201s with higher power handling.

My own 201s were rebuilt and improved so I don't know how much better they may or may not be than the 201s or 301s. If I ever get time, I would like to try the 201s on a baffle with the Augies. Like you, I can't see myself going back to a boxed speaker! ;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.