Supravox 215RTF Bicone

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
It'll work well, anything Greg designs is going to do that, no worries. But I have great respect for anyone who can accomodate an enclosure of these proportions. A terminus area of 544in^2 is VAST. This is a genuine monster; a square cross section for example would be approximately 23in x 23in.

Personally, love the BIB though I do, I reckon there's better ways for this driver. We only did some of these in response to requests, not because we considered them to be the best drivers for a BIB load. Supravox' own TQWT is not to be sniffed at; it's a decent cabinet. That would be my first choice for these drivers I suspect. Or a straight MLTL. Here's a rough one (internal dimensions):

38in tall
15.5in wide
12.5in deep (you can swap these two around if you like, but I like wide baffles as it often reduces, or even eliminates the need for baffle step compensation)
Driver centre 8in down from the top.
Port 2in diameter, 1in long, 8in up from the base.
0.5lbs ft^3 of stuffing from the top 20in down.

Regards
Scott

Attachments

• rough 215 mltl.gif
    rough 215 mltl.gif
    5.9 KB · Views: 878

GM

Joined 2003
Greets!

My current cabs are 'only' 30" x 24" (720"^2), but in a 16 ft wide room they don't seem all that large to me, at least compared to the 60" wide horns they replaced ;), though my teen year's same size Altec A7 DIY clones took up most of what was left of my ~10 x 12 ft bedroom, not that I cared of course, we were too busy 'zoning out' on Chuck Berry, Miles Davis, George Jones, et al. :)

GM

After all, it's important to get your priorities right. Always buy a house with a large shed. Then you'll have somewhere to sleep after filling the house with hifi and music... :D

60in wide? Now that's what I'd call an impressive setup (bigger than a Jensen Imperial isn't it?) A pretty good point though -if they were finished well, they could fit in with the architcture. 23in isn't so large after all...:devilr:

xstephanx said:
am i the only one who giggled when i saw the title?

Nope:D, ur not the only one.

Scott,

Thanks for those MLTL dims. I had a similar thread for the Non-Bicone some weeks ago, where you posted a largish corner Tannoy BR design... Those new dims looks like a good start.

BTW, I saw these Supravox enclosures at MJK's site in his gallery page ('vast' indeed):

Supravox.jpg

Scottmoose said:
After all, it's important to get your priorities right. Always buy a house with a large shed. Then you'll have somewhere to sleep after filling the house with hifi and music... :D

60in wide? Now that's what I'd call an impressive setup (bigger than a Jensen Imperial isn't it?) A pretty good point though -if they were finished well, they could fit in with the architcture. 23in isn't so large after all...:devilr:

Greets!

You got that right! No, they were 'only' 34" tall, just the right height to perch an Altec multi-cell on top, though 48" deep including the rear compression chamber, but everything was angled on them to make a snug diagonal fit in the corners, so didn't really take up all that much living room 'real estate'.

Yeah, wood veneer wallpaper was real popular, especially Bamboo, as was wallpaper in general since it comes in myriad colors/patterns/price brackets from 'Redneck Trailer Trash' to 'corporate CEO'. Various marble patterns were also popular and often the S.O.s would do it. Some even used various cloth materials. There was never a WAF 'issue'.

GM

felixx said:
Another enclosure.....but I don't think on what freqv. is tuned.
What is the best suitable enclosure for 215rtfbicone ?........
......... to obtain a good balanced bass...........and rezonable spl.

http://www.supravox.fr/kits/tqwt215.pdf

Greets!

I don't have time to keep reverse engineering every cab design you can find, but to get the 'best' bass performance out of this driver requires at least a ~216 L cab tuned to ~44 Hz, so figure the net Vb and if it's not at least this much, then you can assume it will roll off at some higher frequency and how 'balanced' it will sound will be based on the tuning frequency and/or how much EQ you're willing to use to flatten its in-room response.

The 80 L sealed alignment will roll off above 100 Hz, so a separate midbass/woofer system will be required.

GM

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.