Supravox 215RTF Bicone - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th June 2006, 04:45 PM   #1
felixx is offline felixx  Romania
diyAudio Member

Default Supracox 215RTF Bicone

I want to ask if is needed to atached a notch filter for liniarization to Supravox 215RTF Bicone....I want to use this driver in Voigt enclosure but BIB to increase the lows a little.
I don't know yet BIB dimensions but if you have any links I apreciated.
Old 24th June 2006, 07:10 PM   #2
SunRa is offline SunRa  Romania
diyAudio Member

Supravox BIB

The last one in the row...

Salut!... sa stii ca si eu tot pe supravox cred ca merg, mai vorbim pe mail...
Old 25th June 2006, 06:44 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

It'll work well, anything Greg designs is going to do that, no worries. But I have great respect for anyone who can accomodate an enclosure of these proportions. A terminus area of 544in^2 is VAST. This is a genuine monster; a square cross section for example would be approximately 23in x 23in.

Personally, love the BIB though I do, I reckon there's better ways for this driver. We only did some of these in response to requests, not because we considered them to be the best drivers for a BIB load. Supravox' own TQWT is not to be sniffed at; it's a decent cabinet. That would be my first choice for these drivers I suspect. Or a straight MLTL. Here's a rough one (internal dimensions):

38in tall
15.5in wide
12.5in deep (you can swap these two around if you like, but I like wide baffles as it often reduces, or even eliminates the need for baffle step compensation)
Driver centre 8in down from the top.
Port 2in diameter, 1in long, 8in up from the base.
0.5lbs ft^3 of stuffing from the top 20in down.

Regards
Scott
Attached Images
File Type: gif rough 215 mltl.gif (5.9 KB, 707 views)
Old 25th June 2006, 09:12 PM   #4
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Greets!

My current cabs are 'only' 30" x 24" (720"^2), but in a 16 ft wide room they don't seem all that large to me, at least compared to the 60" wide horns they replaced , though my teen year's same size Altec A7 DIY clones took up most of what was left of my ~10 x 12 ft bedroom, not that I cared of course, we were too busy 'zoning out' on Chuck Berry, Miles Davis, George Jones, et al.

GM
Old 25th June 2006, 10:48 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

After all, it's important to get your priorities right. Always buy a house with a large shed. Then you'll have somewhere to sleep after filling the house with hifi and music...

60in wide? Now that's what I'd call an impressive setup (bigger than a Jensen Imperial isn't it?) A pretty good point though -if they were finished well, they could fit in with the architcture. 23in isn't so large after all...
Old 26th June 2006, 02:28 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to xstephanx
am i the only one who giggled when i saw the title?
Old 26th June 2006, 12:48 PM   #7
fred76 is offline fred76  Philippines
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by xstephanx
am i the only one who giggled when i saw the title?

Nope, ur not the only one.

Scott,

Thanks for those MLTL dims. I had a similar thread for the Non-Bicone some weeks ago, where you posted a largish corner Tannoy BR design... Those new dims looks like a good start.

BTW, I saw these Supravox enclosures at MJK's site in his gallery page ('vast' indeed):

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 26th June 2006, 01:04 PM   #8
felixx is offline felixx  Romania
diyAudio Member

What do you think about that?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fig33.jpg (64.8 KB, 625 views)
Old 26th June 2006, 11:44 PM   #9
Ciu is offline Ciu  France
diyAudio Member

Default Supravox Model/Parameters

Hello Felixx !

Have you any idea about the speaker model you are talking about in the Supravox Site : http://www.supravox.fr/les_hp.htm

Did you measure the T/S parameters ?

There's a large choice, and during the past years, a couple of this 215 have been made, with differents T/S parameters

Thanks !
R.C.
Old 27th June 2006, 05:29 AM   #10
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Scottmoose
After all, it's important to get your priorities right. Always buy a house with a large shed. Then you'll have somewhere to sleep after filling the house with hifi and music...

60in wide? Now that's what I'd call an impressive setup (bigger than a Jensen Imperial isn't it?) A pretty good point though -if they were finished well, they could fit in with the architcture. 23in isn't so large after all...

Greets!

You got that right! No, they were 'only' 34" tall, just the right height to perch an Altec multi-cell on top, though 48" deep including the rear compression chamber, but everything was angled on them to make a snug diagonal fit in the corners, so didn't really take up all that much living room 'real estate'.

Yeah, wood veneer wallpaper was real popular, especially Bamboo, as was wallpaper in general since it comes in myriad colors/patterns/price brackets from 'Redneck Trailer Trash' to 'corporate CEO'. Various marble patterns were also popular and often the S.O.s would do it. Some even used various cloth materials. There was never a WAF 'issue'.

GM

Hide this!Advertise here!