Rock with a full range speaker - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd June 2006, 02:16 AM   #1
type is offline type  United States
diyAudio Member

Question Rock with a full range speaker

How do you like your full range speakers when it comes to listening to Rock/Hard Rock? What do you consider the best full ranger when it comes to this type of music?
Old 23rd June 2006, 03:40 AM   #2
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Greets!

For me, R&R/Hard Rock and FR drivers are mutually exclusive unless they are augmented with a LF/midbass and super tweeter. The one exception might be a really large front and back loaded horn design, but never having auditioned one with Hard Rock, it's just speculation.

Soft Rock OTOH can be adequately handled by a Jordan MLTL in an average size room.

GM
Old 23rd June 2006, 04:53 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to bassrogue
I listen to hard rock sometimes through my fostex 206 in BLH and yes, they could use a bit more thump but it's not to the point of wanting a sub. I moved mine to the corners of the room to add more bass.
Old 23rd June 2006, 07:15 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

FR can put you in the concert hall, but not the mosh pit
Old 23rd June 2006, 08:52 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

some observations: Supravox in OB is very nice with the rock music! Small Fostexes are too "clean sounding" and bass-shy so could be a bit agressive/unsupportable with rock. Lowthers/ACR in front horns with SE tubes are realy nice for rock (BD front horns). Chip FRs i experienced sound good with small acoustic music, when thinks become more complex - as rock music - they tend to be agressive and distorted, especialy when played loud.
Old 23rd June 2006, 01:57 PM   #6
Sherman is offline Sherman  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Rock with a full range speaker

Quote:
Originally posted by type
How do you like your full range speakers when it comes to listening to Rock/Hard Rock? What do you consider the best full ranger when it comes to this type of music?

I was going to ask this same question. I've gotten the itch to build a pair of Fostex horns using the FE206E or 207E. Most of the music I listen to isn't hard rock but some of it is.

Based on the responses here it seems that I should either plan on adding a subwoofer and supertweeter (though my ears might not benefit from the extra high frequencies!) or having two sets of speakers (not a high WAF option).

Still have the itch to build though!
Old 23rd June 2006, 02:49 PM   #7
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Geek
FR can put you in the concert hall, but not the mosh pit
Couldn't have said it better myself.
Old 23rd June 2006, 03:09 PM   #8
adason is offline adason  United States
diyAudio Member

it depends...

....it depends how loud you want to play your rock music, it depends how much are you willing to sacrify the bass

i have been using Lowthers on open baffle supported from 150Hz down by 15" woofer for 10 years now
and it can play any music

I believe that speakers should be designed to play well with all sorts of music...having said that, I do have second system just for very loud, very dynamic music, mostly rock, based on three compression drivers with pa 18" woofer, those speakers rocks, but occasionaly I play classical music on them too...

in my hymble opinion, single fr without woofer support in any enclosure will not satisfy, did not satisfy me
Old 23rd June 2006, 05:15 PM   #9
navin is offline navin  India
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to navin Send a message via Yahoo to navin
I have heard resoanable results in a 200 sq. ft. room using the JX92 mated to a sub below 100Hz. I assume the SupraVox or Veravox mated to a sub can also work. For any rock slam you should use a sub with a fullrange.
Old 23rd June 2006, 05:29 PM   #10
Dumbass is offline Dumbass  British Antarctic Territory
diyAudio Member

I might have a non-consensus opinion, but I think it is easier to get rock right than orchestral music right, with full-ranger or not. Large-scale orchestral music tends to have really gnarly transients in JUST the frequency range that is difficult for typical full-rangers. Most rock recordings, on the other hand, tend to be pretty compressed.

My FE207E in vented cabs give as much as I would want (with the exception of sub-bass) on material ranging from rock, reggae, electronic, jazz, esoterica, etc etc. If I had a larger listening room, however, I am not certain.

IMO a lot has to do with the kind of amplification. There seems to be an automatic conflation of single driver with SET -- misplaced assumption IMO. Lowthers in large rearloaded horn -- OK, that is a high efficiency setup. But most people with fullrangers have stuff that is CONSIDERABLY less efficient, and could use some more umph than just a 2A3 or 300B single-ended.

Hide this!Advertise here!