Post your fullrange auditory hallucinations! - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd June 2006, 10:57 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to xstephanx
Default Post your fullrange auditory hallucinations!

no this isnt a psychedelica thread... but i was listening to my speakers...actually im listening to them right now(dipole fe166e)...but about 3 minutes ago, i heard the intro of the last track on pink floyds "animals". Now i listen critically with my windows open, because it makes bass smoother. ANYWAY straight to the point, i couldnt distinguish the bird sounds coming from the speakers....from the bird sounds outside.

im sure similar things have happened to other people. put them down here! anything goes, as long as your speaker "tricked" you.
Old 22nd June 2006, 11:09 PM   #2
renfrow is offline renfrow  United States
diyAudio Member

I remember when the Pink Floyd Animals album came out. I'd just bought the album that day, and that evening was playing it for the first time at a poker game in my room (army barracks in Germany). We kept going to the window looking for the dogs barking, and yelling at them to shutup. Eventually we did figure out that they were on the album and marvelled. Pioneer CS99As, Pioneer SX737, Technics SL1200, Shure M91ED... Still have the speakers and turntable, though it's not been used in decades :-)

Tom.
Old 23rd June 2006, 01:09 AM   #3
MJK is offline MJK  United States
Account disabled at member's request

I was listening to my new super efficient Lowther Open Baffles Speakers one night and was playing one of my live jazz piano trio recordings at a fairly decent volume. It was my first time playing this particular CD on the new speaker system. It also happened to be right after I got my first new laptop PC. So I was sitting and working on the PC and I kept hearing a faint beeping noise, I assumed something was wrong with the laptop and was trying to debug the problem. It was intermitent and driving me nuts, ruined my listening session. A few nights later I was listening to the same CD and the beeping returned, only this time the PC was off. Turned out to be a cell phone in the audience at the club where the recording was made, I backed up and replayed the track and the beeping was in exactly the same spot in the song.
Old 23rd June 2006, 07:55 AM   #4
lndm is offline lndm  Australia
diyAudio Member

While we're thinking pink. Wish you were here, before Have a cigar, the elevator landing and the crowded room can sound pretty good. The Wall, the lead in to One of my turns where the door shuts, this is good enough to fool a person.
Old 23rd June 2006, 08:29 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

I own Tannoy 611's mk2, a bit dated nowdays. A few week after I brought them, I wandered back past the dealer, who had them set up in the listening room, with a rather stock NAD CD player, playing remastered Doobie Brother's 'Long Traing Running', and a Plinius SA100 amp, an incredible 100W class A amp, manufactured in NZ.

What that Plinius did to my speakers was my 'moment of revelation' where I got converted to high end Hifi, It had power, depth, clarity, subtley, soundstage exceeding the listenig room, and more. It left me amazed. That was many years ago, and the impact never left me. I've never experienced that effect with my own Tannoy's, but I'm finishing an AlephX-160, and am hoping that Nelson's and Grey's design is up to the challenge.

Cheers, Adrian
Old 23rd June 2006, 01:48 PM   #6
Sherman is offline Sherman  United States
diyAudio Member

I was listening to Cake's "Pressure Chief" and on my system the soundstage on this recording is much wider than the speaker spacing.

The song "No Phones" came on and the ringing phone at the beginning was the same as the ringtone I had on my cell phone which was sitting on a desk a couple feet to the right of the right speaker. I got up and answered the phone! (I changed my ringtone that day. )
Old 24th June 2006, 05:56 AM   #7
Jeb-D. is offline Jeb-D.  United States
diyAudio Member

I heard silence, because my full range speakers arn't done yet
Old 24th June 2006, 08:01 AM   #8
lndm is offline lndm  Australia
diyAudio Member

Oh yeah well my unfinished speakers are quieter than your unfinished speakers
Old 26th June 2006, 03:41 PM   #9
no xo is offline no xo  United States
diyAudio Member

Back to Pink Floyd Animals, when I was in college I played that one alot and when the dogs barked my own dog at the time"Ruby", who was the sweetest mutt, would bark and growl back at the speakers....everytime. Year 79', system JVC QL-7 TT with Mayware Formula 4 arm, Sonus Blue cart., G.A.S. Thoebe pre, Hafler DH200 and Polk 10 speakers. Today my HT system, all Fostex speakers, on Austin Powers "Gold Member" when Austin is with the Japanese twins and pops the cork on the champange, the cork hits the ground far right of the speaker and my girlfriend tells her son to "go pick that up" and he looks at her like..what? I love when that happens.
Old 26th June 2006, 04:08 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

I'm not a "Fullrange" guy but, I'm very much enjoying this thread. I think you guys are discussing, to me, what it's all about. The exact re-creation of a sound. Doesn't matter WHAT the sound is.

Every chance a get, I sample any CDs that I can get my hands on, looking for that magic track that re-creats the original performance. So far, it seems most of the best tracks were recorded very early in stereo history.

Hide this!Advertise here!