Jordan with a Ribbon MLTL - Page 9 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st November 2007, 04:40 PM   #81
Colin is offline Colin  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I was planning to start bracing around New Zealand and head north from there...

The next build will be more robust and will incorporate a plant holder.
Old 21st November 2007, 05:20 PM   #82
Nardis is offline Nardis  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Possibly a bit off topic, but maybe we won't need the ribbons soon. I saw this on www.transmissionaudio.com

"A refined, proprietary version of the JX92 driver, (now further improved and branded TA100), is already incorporated in Transmission Audio´s M1i speaker."

There are some claims in the next couple of paragraphs that they've licked the problem of cone breakup on the JX92.

Anyone know anything about it? Presumably these will cost several arms and legs if they are ever made available to the DIY market.
Old 21st November 2007, 09:19 PM   #83
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by tommak
Do you have an example of what type of longitudinal bracing you're recommending? Maybe a website of some speaker that is close in shape?
Lots of examples imbedded in the 3D visualizations at the Box plan library or the frugal-horn site.

GM has done a pretty good job of describing the simpliest implementation.

The use of the Earth to reorient my world (and use of longitude) was a bit of a surprise Now i'll have to figure a better way to phrase this.

Looks like i got in on the JX92 group buy, so we will be building a 48" GM triangle (with appropriate braces running the length of the box).

We are embarking on this project to see if they can get close to our FE126eN/FE127eN.

dave
Old 21st November 2007, 10:56 PM   #84
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by planet10
Looks like i got in on the JX92 group buy, so we will be building a 48" GM triangle (with appropriate braces running the length of the box).

We are embarking on this project to see if they can get close to our FE126eN/FE127eN.
Most excellent, Dave! I am in the JX group buy and I bought a pair of G2Si's a while back just for a project like this.
Old 21st November 2007, 11:03 PM   #85
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Brent Welke
The results were not good. The new XO sounded lifeless and muddy. I ran out of time to mess around and went back to using my old XO.
Brent,

I have been informed you still have the tweeters perched on top?

If that is the case, none of your experiments are valid. You need to get them mounted up close to the JX92.

dave
Old 22nd November 2007, 08:16 AM   #86
diyAudio Member

Hi Guys,

Thanks for your comments/help. The tweeters are sitting beside the woofer at almost the same distance they would be from the woofer if they were mounted in the cabinet.

I do intend to mount the tweeters in the cabs. I keep waiting for Chris to take pity on me and to offer to cut the holes, but its not working What a dummy I was to say "no" to mounting the tweeters when he first made these beauties.

Thanks for reminding me about breaking in the XO parts. I will put a silent dummy load on them and run them for a week before I try again.

Cheers,
Brent
Old 22nd November 2007, 10:18 PM   #87
ZUM911 is offline ZUM911  Australia
diyAudio Member

Hi,

I'm in the final stages of constructing Mr. Griffin's MLTL Jordan speakers and had a few first-timer questions.

I've built the crossover on 4mm plexiglass. Is that a mistake? And on the crossover, I looked at mounting it right behind the Jordan driver but there was only about an inch of clearance so I'm mounting it just below the window brace so there will be no access to it after everything is finally glued up. I will test the speaker and crossover by clamping the front baffle on but I'm just concerned if things need changing I'll not be able to get my hands on it.

I can only find locally a port that is slightly smaller in diameter at 2 inches compared to the recommended 2 1/16. It doesn't seem like much to me but being my first attempt it's a good chance I'm wrong.

Thanks for any suggestions
Rick
Old 22nd November 2007, 10:56 PM   #88
diyAudio Member

I recommend keeping the XO external so you can tweak it. I am sure there is plenty to be said yet about what XO parts sounds best and so on.

You may also consider making a mounting option inside the speaker below the woofer on the baffle so that once you are no longer tweaking the XO you can remove the woofer and put your xo in the speaker on your mounting spot.
Old 14th March 2008, 03:18 PM   #89
diyAudio Member

I would very much like to contact Colin and ask him a few questions regarding the Jordan 92's and Vtl cabinets.
If you are listening Colin i would like to pick your brain about a couple of idea. I can be contacted through this site.
Neil
Old 14th March 2008, 06:25 PM   #90
Colin is offline Colin  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hi Neil - PM sent.

BTW, the VTL on your site looks pretty good.

Hide this!Advertise here!