Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd June 2006, 03:05 PM   #21
diyAudio Member

Jim,
Do you intend to write a white paper on the new ML-TL JX92S/G2si? Also if a white paper exists on the mini monitor, where can I find it?
Thanks,
Ray
Old 22nd June 2006, 05:16 PM   #22
Colin is offline Colin  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

On my 48 MLTLs is that side wall cabinet vibration is low compared to vibration in the top panel, presumably due to the enclosure's column resonances. Next version will have a thicker top panel. However, in general the shape seems pretty rigid, with none of the large panel widths of bigger enclosures to worry about.

Re the JX62 - I don't think it was ever intended to be as good as the JX53 in the HF, it was developed as a computer/desktop speaker. I did get to hear one at the time the JXR6 was beginning development and even then the JXR6 was better. However, if you're wanting to complete the set ...

A query for Jim - another designer I know uses a widerange bass-mid and uses the driver's mechanical rolloff to cross over to a ribbon tweeter (which has an electrical high pass network). Have you experimented along these lines with the Jordan/ribbon?
Old 22nd June 2006, 08:11 PM   #23
diyAudio Member

Replies:

For Ray:

The minimonitor with ribbon white paper was hosted on the Creative Sound Solutions (CSS) site for over 18 months. The URL no longer works as of a few weeks ago. CSS still sells Aurum Cantus ribbons but no longer sells Jordan (once the CSS WR125S and FR125S were available their relationship was toast). I may write a Jordan/ribbon MLTL white paper if there is enough interest and a host website for it.

For Colin:

I haven't looked at the idea that you suggested. In my opinion though it is always better to use the best driver for each specific band. In the case of the A-C G2si ribbon tweeter it will excel in the 2500 Hz up region--flat, wide dispersion, with exceptional treble. Furthermore, the Jordan JX92S starts to beam above 3000 Hz so it is a natural to work the crossover above that point.

I'm not a super tweeter kind of man as a super tweeter is a flawed concept from the start in my opinion. Crossing over a tweeter in the 10,000 Hz and above area is problematical in that the center to center spacing between the two drivers is too far apart to really blend. Low order crossovers also just spread the pain over a wide freqeuncy range.

Jim
Old 23rd June 2006, 11:34 AM   #24
Puggie is offline Puggie  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Very nice Jim

I have a pair of Fountek ribbons that require a home and this may be just the ticket, I've been playing with the Bandor 50 wide range drivers and require something with a bit more ooomff for my main speakers, I may have to buy some Jordans now I would ideally like a shorter cabinet, something in the 38-40" range rather than 46 as your design it but providing the cabinet width stays the same the crossover should not change should it?
Old 23rd June 2006, 12:08 PM   #25
Colin is offline Colin  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

If you go to the Jordan systems page, there are a couple of other JX92 designs which are shorter, including (on the DIY page) the 31 inch high version of theMLTL. You could vary the height of that one to fit your 40" or under category. The 48" cabinet is very elegant so the height doesn't make it loom.
Old 23rd June 2006, 02:57 PM   #26
diyAudio Member

Puggie,

As Colin states, there are 31 and 48" versions of GM's design for the JX92S. As my cabinet was designed to be a bit shorter than 48", I reran Martin King's spread MLTL sheet for the desired length and the only impact was a 0.25" longer port tube. You give up a few Hz or two on the low end as you shorten the tube length but you can make certainly change it to 38-40" without much impact. Maintaining the width constant but only lchanging the length should not impact the crossover.

Jim
Old 23rd June 2006, 03:27 PM   #27
Puggie is offline Puggie  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Thanks Jim, thats going to cost me a pair of jordans then I'll throw the jordan into MJKs workseets and see what I can do with my desired cabinet height. Will you be publishing the Xover design or would I be as well to start with the mini monitor version and tweek from there?
Old 23rd June 2006, 08:18 PM   #28
diyAudio Member

Colin,
I sent you an email yesterday requesting the file on Jim's mini monitor. Let me know if you did not receive it and I will resend.
Thanks,
Ray
Old 23rd June 2006, 11:43 PM   #29
Nardis is offline Nardis  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Colin
The 48" cabinet is very elegant so the height doesn't make it loom.
I agree with Colin on this. The tall columns are not obtrusive, especially when used against a wall. But be sure to fix a heavy base, preferably with a larger footprint than the column to lower their centre of gravity. Alternatively you could use some outriggers of steel tube with feet or spikes. When I put mine together I was alarmed at how easy to topple they were.

Quote:
Originally posted by Jim Griffin
As my cabinet was designed to be a bit shorter than 48", I reran Martin King's spread MLTL sheet for the desired length and the only impact was a 0.25" longer port tube.
Jim [/B]
Jim, can I ask why you shortened the 48" line? Was it because Martin King's sheet predicted a better response?
Old 24th June 2006, 12:25 AM   #30
diyAudio Member

Nardis,

My change to the height was necessary because of availability of material. Material that was 48" long was readily available without purchasing new stock. Thus I changed the design to 46" to suit this material. Nothing in this design dictates 48" (or 31" in the other limit) if you have the ability to run Martin's spread sheets to satisfy that the design meets your needs. Generally, we are talking a port tube length change for a minor line length change.

Puggie,

Look at post #9 in this thread and you'll see the mini-monitor crossover. Start with that design plus follow the specific baffle width (7.5") that I used and you'll be successful. change to depth of the cabinet to maintain the cross sectional area the same as GM's design.

Jim

Hide this!Advertise here!