Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Jordan with a Ribbon MLTL
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th June 2016, 12:06 PM   #221
Boden is offline Boden  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Colin & others,

Unfortunately these online x/o calculators produce nothing but rubbish, that is not even remotely related to proper x/o design.

In order to properly design a x/o you need in-box SPL and Z measurements of both drivers, including inter driver delay. If done digitally (ARTA, HOLM REW), thus produced .frd and .zma files need to be imported in XSim. BoxSim, Leap lsp Cad and the likes thereof. Check e.g. the XSim thread here on Diyaudio.

Proper filter design is much more relevant than random use of Boutiqe capacitors.

Hope this helps.

Good Luck

Eelco
Old 9th June 2016, 02:08 PM   #222
Jim Griffin is offline Jim Griffin  United States
diyAudio Member

My original crossover was derived via the method suggested by Boden. In-box measurements were taken within the specific enclosure. LspCAD was then used to computer model/optimize the network performance.

My LspCAD version 5.2 is 12-13 years old but Ingemar Johnansson of IJData still offers LspCAD for sale.
Old 9th June 2016, 04:08 PM   #223
Colin is offline Colin  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I wholeheartedly agree, they're just an idealised guess at components.

Rod Elliot's article goes into greater detail.
Old 9th June 2016, 06:03 PM   #224
planet10 is offline planet10  Canada
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eirik Uthaug View Post
but the Visaton has same sensitivity
Be wary. Real world sensitivity is much less than specified.

XOing a tweeter with the B200 is compromised by the B200's tendency to go laser-like as the frequency goes up. Adding phase plugs can significantly improve that.

You can use the Jordan/AC xo as a guide for how to do the tweeter but you really need to do the XO fresh.

dave
Old 26th February 2017, 04:40 PM   #225
grahamfocal is offline grahamfocal  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Just finished preliminary tests on my concrete (yes concrete) t lines, designed and built by Jon espley, but my mod has atop the aurum cantus. Initial impressions, absolutely blooming amazing. It's kept the lovely signature I loved with the JX92S but added a real AIR with the ribbons.
Will build a neat enclosure for the ribbons to finish them off, and post some pics.
Old 18th February 2018, 07:48 PM   #226
pamaz is offline pamaz  Italy
diyAudio Member

Hello !
It's more or less 10 years I'm using the JG minimonitor as my main speakers, paired with some clones of pass amplifiers, and I have been really happy with them so far. A family with three sons leave me very short of time ( not to say money!) so, I've left for a long time all of my hobbies. Now it seems that in the future i'll be able to grab a little bit of time to work on something new.
A few days ago, while i was trying to put a little bit of order in my garage, I've discovered that I still have a pair of jx92 NIB and a couple of G2si in a never ended 3 way speaker. So It sounds a good idea to build the mltl +ribbon thing.
Does anyone of you have the plans to build the box already done? I've tried to search for them , but I was not able to find anything.
Many thanks for your help.
BR from Italy.

Paolo
Old 19th February 2018, 05:55 AM   #227
pamaz is offline pamaz  Italy
diyAudio Member

Sorry all, But Jim has given some infos on the dimensions on the box in the upper part of the post, so , more or less I'm able to do the box. Can you please give me the height of the center of the speakers and the position of the rear tube pls?
I assume that stuffing is to be made in the upper part just below the jx92...
Thanks a lot for your help.

Paolo

Jordan with a Ribbon MLTLHide this!Advertise here!