Jordan with a Ribbon MLTL - Page 13 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th October 2008, 05:48 PM   #121
wcchuk is offline wcchuk  Hong Kong
diyAudio Member

Just received my ordered Jordan speaker from Solen. Frustrated to find out one of them was damaged. It should be damaged before despatched as the parcel packing is still perfect.

Winston
Old 11th November 2008, 08:05 PM   #122
diyAudio Member

Thanks for pointing to Solen as a source for X92s
Old 9th January 2009, 08:14 PM   #123
diyAudio Member

I built the mini monitor version of Jim Griffin's Jordan with the G2si and I absolutely love them. However I use these in my bedroom at fairly low levels. I would like to build the same sound in speakers that I can play at higher levels and I am afraid the Jordan's cannot take the higher levels. How can I build a speaker system with the same or at least very similar characteristics that can play at louder levels (I am not talking ear splitting but still relatively loud)?

Can I do a high pass filter for the Jordan and add a sub woofer? If so how high do I need to go to protect the Jordan?

Is there another DIY speaker system with plans that will result in a similar sound to the mini monitor or MLTL? I really like the characteristics of the G2si so if there were a system incorporating a G2si that would be of interest. I do not have the expertise or equipment to design a ground up speaker system.

Jim if you are listening, thanks for the design.
Old 9th January 2009, 09:15 PM   #124
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the nice words and I'm glad that you like your speakers.

On adding a subwoofer: What I would do is to use an active subwoofer that has a plate amp which has the ability to adjust both the crossover frequency and the output level to match with the Jordans. Most plate amps have at least a second order high pass filter so the Jordans would be pretty well protected against leakage of the lowest bass into them. If you have mini-monitors, then I would stuff their port tubes so that they become effectively a sealed box. That would help protect the Jordan driver even more.

I don't know how much loud you listen but I have used my Jordan speakers for may years as my daily listeners and they fill my 15' x 23' listening area with more than enough sound for me. Of course if you are a basshead, you can never have enough bass so an active sub will fill that need. I suggest that you give your speakers a listen when integrated with the sub and you suspect that you will be very happy I'm sure.

The AC G2si tweeters were on Parts Express' deal of the day yesterday so I hope that some of you noticed.

Jim
Old 9th January 2009, 09:30 PM   #125
hayenc is offline hayenc  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to hayenc
I would agree. I have the sealed mini-monitors working with two sealed subs using the Dayton 315HF drivers driven by plate amps filling my living room. Takes some work to match them, but I fill a large space driving them with a VT-130 and have had no problems, including just listening to the 1812.

I also just finished building a pair of top hats with the Aurum Cantus to fit on top of the Pete Millett TL Jordan enclosure. Turns out this enclosure is also 7.5 inches wide and the Aurum end up within about a half inch of the top of the Jordans, so very close to the layout of the mini-monitors. Better bass out of the Jordans, but I have yet to get them to match to subs to my satisfaction. Will try to post pictures later.
Old 9th January 2009, 09:35 PM   #126
diyAudio Member

Jim and hayenc,

Thanks for your quick responses. I have looked at the Dayton sub woofer plate amps on the Parts Express Web site and they have low pass filters, but not high pass. Is simply stuffing the port sufficient to protect the Jordan's without adding a cap to filter out the low frequencies? Or did I miss something with the plate amps?
Old 9th January 2009, 09:46 PM   #127
diyAudio Member

I am using the 240 W Sub Amp. PE part number 300-804. I am actually driving it on the low-level inputs from a separate output on my preamp.

According to the manual, the High-level outputs, which require you feed the High-level Inputs from your amplifier speaker outputs, have an internal 6dB/octave 125 Hz high pass filter. I have not tried running the Jordan/Aurum mini's in that configuration yet.
Old 9th January 2009, 09:59 PM   #128
MJK is offline MJK  United States
Account disabled at member's request

Quote:
Originally posted by Jim Griffin
The AC G2si tweeters were on Parts Express' deal of the day yesterday so I hope that some of you noticed.
I had not noticed, thanks for the heads-up. I just ordered a pair at essntially half price! I see a Goldwood H frame and Jordon / AC open baffle three way system in the near future.
Old 9th January 2009, 10:04 PM   #129
diyAudio Member

One last note on the Dayton/PE subs. They are not quite as crisp as the Jordans, even with both in a sealed box. I just don't have the budget for Rythmiks just now.

Something about having bought a Mitsubishi DLP from Showcase (Tweeter) a while back and dealing with it being dead and questionable warranty service.
Old 9th January 2009, 11:33 PM   #130
diyAudio Member

hayenc,

Interesting comment about the Daytons not being as fast as the Jordans. I currently have one Rel sub in my main listening room. I assume that would be fast enough, but if the crossover is to be at 120Hz I would probably want a second sub. Do you think the Rythmiks would work with the Rel or would I need two Rythmiks? Or would the crossover at 90 Hz. work?

Hide this!Advertise here!