Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th June 2006, 01:25 AM   #1
vonfilm is offline vonfilm  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Is it crazy to use Audio Nirvana full-range drivers in ceiling fro surround sound?

I had the crazy idea of mounting Audio Nirvana 6.5" or 8" Standard models in the ceiling for a mid-fi surround sound set up. It seemed to me that these would provide better sound than the typical ceiling mounted speakers for the money. My ceiling is currently out as I am remodeling. I would simply mount them to the drywall with T-nuts. I would plan on covering them with Atlas Sound Ceiling Speaker baffles(MCM part #555-6616) unless someone can suggest a better speaker grill. I have had a hard time finding sepeartely available speaker grills.

Also, my cabinet maker is building the 2.8 cu. ft. bass reflex cabinet in 3/4" Baltic Birch plywood from one of Commonsense Audio's designs. I will finish out the cabinet and install Audio Nirvana Super 8's. I plant to power them with either a Super T-Amp or an Autocostruire 2020. This will be my first partial DIY Audio project.

Any comments or suggestions to this Newbie would be welcome.
Old 15th June 2006, 02:30 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

You will have better low frequency response with traditional ceiling speakers due to the low qts of the AN drivers. IMHO fr is more important than sq for surround speakers.

RL
Old 15th June 2006, 02:54 AM   #3
scott_m is offline scott_m  United States
diyAudio Member

One thing to consider - these drivers are very, very heavy. They're probably not the best driver for that application, but if you went ahead with them I'd give consideration to how you're going to support them up there. I don't think drywall alone is sufficient.

Scott.
Old 15th June 2006, 07:38 AM   #4
westend is offline westend  United States
diyAudio Member

You could build an enclosure for the ceiling mounts. It would be quite easy to box off between the ceiling joists and add a plywood baffle above the drywall. Grills: http://www.lashen.com/vendors/bogen/Speaker_Grilles.asp

Hide this!Advertise here!