Bookshelf fullrange advice wanted - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th June 2006, 04:18 PM   #1
Rocky is offline Rocky  Norway
diyAudio Member

Default Bookshelf fullrange advice wanted

Hello, I am seeking advice on some relatively small bookshelf speakers I plan as a birthday gift for my sister. She lives in a relatively small apartment with her fiance, and I don't think they have the floor or room space in the living room for floorstanding speakers. They are not audio freaks like myself, but both are professional musicians (he's a drummer, she plays viola) so they recognize good sound when they hear it.

The game plan is to replace the speakers already on the shelf (small cheap JVC models), so I will have to stay within 10-12 liter. I want a fullrange driver for that volume that can provide decent bass as well as HF, and as my sister is not into triode stuff, I don't see high efficiency as a must.

I have already had a good look on the Fostex F120A 5, but they are a little on the expensive side. The candidates I'm considering seriously are Jordan JX92S and Fostex FX120 (love the appereance of this one), perhaps also the CSS FR125S. Any opinions on those drivers or others the same size for such an application?
Old 14th June 2006, 05:00 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Save the money and go for:

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshow...number=264-846

or

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshow...number=264-848

They work nicely in small sealed cabs... tweeters optional.

Godzilla
Old 14th June 2006, 05:12 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

I keep posting twice by accident... grrrr....

I have the 4" TB Bamboo and it works great in a small sealed or ported box of the size you need. It will be a great upgrade but the treble might be very mild manored compared to what they currently have. If the speakers they have now have 'hot' tweeters it might take them a few listens to get used to the full range sound.

Peace,

Godzilla
Old 14th June 2006, 05:54 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

I've heard the TangBands have gotten quite a reputation in their price range, but I think that with those drivers I would have to experiment on my own before attempting to build good sounding speakers for others, and for that I am too busy with my own setup.

I have used Fostex's FE range of drivers in the past, before I ended up with compression drivers, horns, and DHTs, and they have much of what I am looking for except they need a huge BL horn or transmission line to get any bass, and the smaller FE drivers tend to get very muddy on complex music. I am thinking the FX120 will retain much of what I loved about my early Fostex speakers, not as efficient but with better low end extension in the modest space requirements of this project. So on closer thought, this is really a choice between the FX120 and the Jordan JX92.
Old 14th June 2006, 05:59 PM   #5
navin is offline navin  India
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to navin Send a message via Yahoo to navin
what about these

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1138085354138

there is a thread with more info
A(nother) reason NOT to DIY

granted they are not fullrange but they work good.
Old 14th June 2006, 06:20 PM   #6
SunRa is offline SunRa  Romania
diyAudio Member

how about these ones?
http://www.supravox.fr/haut_parleurs/135_LB.htm

and

http://www.supravox.fr/haut_parleurs/165_LB.htm

...the second one i like more... and the supravox site has some bookshelf like enclosure plans for it...and it's cheaper than the jordans I believe..
Old 14th June 2006, 08:53 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

navin; At first glance, it doesn't look like what I want, but I'll have a closer look.

SunRa: Great speakers, Actually, I simulated exactly the two drivers you mention yesterday. Problem is, they sacrifice bass for efficiency, wich is good when you can build a big box and use triode amplifiers, but bad when they will be put in a small box powered by transistors...

I've thought long and hard about the 165LB though.. But it gets a little big for decent bass response..
Old 14th June 2006, 09:06 PM   #8
SunRa is offline SunRa  Romania
diyAudio Member

You are right Rocky... I guess that afterall these drivers will do their best in a TQWT (and I think they will be quite slim)...
Nevertheless I think that it's quite hard to use a fullrange in a bookshelf... they just don't fit...

Have you seen this?
An easy and fairly inexpensive DIY Mini Monitor with a Fullrange Driver

It's a good design I guess... quite expensive though...I don't exactly know the price of the drivers
Old 14th June 2006, 09:36 PM   #9
renfrow is offline renfrow  United States
diyAudio Member

You might try the Fostex FE127E in a bass reflex box. Here's the url for it: FE127E Bass Reflex

Click the image to open in full size.

This is from the 'diyAudio Full Range Reference Project' thread.

Tom.
Old 15th June 2006, 02:37 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Supravox TLs would be way cool, I agree. A shame I can't try it as I don't have the funds to build on more than my main setup (student budget). I do however have one supravox-driver in my mind for a future project, and that is the big badass field coil bass. That one would be tha bomb below my 350Hz tractrix horns

That Fostex in the last post look nice. Very nice, but only for certain types of music... Most likely I could live with such a speaker for a while as I'm a calm guy playing mostly classical and chill stuff. My sister on the other hand, can at times be quite a noisy woman.. I suspect the FE127 would probably mud up some of her stuff like the Aphex Twin CDs... (I have actually had the FE127 in percisely a BR, so I know it to be a fact..)

Looking into some other stuff.........

I've broken the CSS FR125S down to a Mathematica worksheet, and I am tempted to try that driver.. Granted, it has low efficiency but as said that's OK in this project.. Xmax is incredible however, and bass output is excellent. Price is nice.. Think I'll build a thorough simulation on this driver and talk to Dave.. If anyone has those impedance curves, could you check if my attached curve is far off? It is based on the T/S numbers and that isn't always spot-on..
Attached Images
File Type: gif ip.gif (2.4 KB, 683 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!