FE166E in dipoles

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
fe166e in dipoles

well i recieved my fe166es from madisound recently, and couldnt wait to hear what they sounded like so i stuck them in some cardboard box OBs. And at first i was disapointed. The midrange showed SO much promise but there was nothing over like 8khz. so i let em play for a bit and after 15 minutes they started sounding pretty good, with more extended top and bottom. Granted teh cardboard OBs were too small to get anything under like 120hz, but they still sounded DAMN good with acoustic instruments. Good enough in fact that i went to the garage to rip up some spare MDF into some dipoles.

well i had one 4'x4' sheet of 5/8" MDF....perfect. Ripped it in half with a circular saw, put some 2x4 legs on (cut at a 10* angle) marked the centre, jigsawed out a hole, and mounted the drivers. Took em to the basement and listened in FAR from ideal settings untill 11pm, when i got thrown out of the basement.

so today i finally took em up to my room, set them up in a still not ideal but better than before manner, popped in a roy hargrove cd and listened. WOW i REALLY love these speakers in dipoles for jazz. everything sounds soooo good! these things are REALLY good at jazz, and acoustic music. I also tried some steely dan, some zepplin, some iced earth and some children of bodom. so theyve seen it all right now(oh and some tchaisckoaejwoeoovsky).

since i dont know how to make a BSC, and these are only temporary till i get my BIBs built, i just used an EQ to bring up the 125hz and 62hz bands by 3d, and dropped the 32hz band by 3db(becuase the drivers arent doing anything other than pumping in an out in a dipole this small down there). so its a very very primitive BSC i guess.

i also put some wool behind the whizzer, a very easily reversable proscess that gave a very desireable sound change over original IMO.

if active crossovers and 4th order linkwitz riley slopes and tri amped 4 way systems are science,

then fullrange crossoverless in dipoles would be religeon.( i hope this makes sense to other people)

oh and a big thank you to everyone in the full range forum who got me thinking, this is one of THE BEST purchases ive made in a long time

however i am currently not allowed to listen to them as it is 11:30 and the family is going to bed, and i dont have a door cause my dad hates my lip piercing, so that means no more listening tonight.

Doesn't surprise me in the least that you like the dipole effect. It really does do things that monopoles can't do. I have good news for you too: the BIB has a distinct dipole feel, particularly in the bass regions (and it's got bass in spadefulls). So you should be a happy camper. I'd suggest the dimensions for the 166s on the Godzilla website: www.zillaspeak.com/bib.asp
In the meantime, enjoy.

Regards
Scott

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.