Makizou, I finally did it. - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th May 2007, 01:51 PM   #21
gychang is offline gychang  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by G

There are a couple of the TB drivers that would seem to be perfect for these enclosures if you have the watts to push them.

can the TB W3-871S be used?

gychang
Old 23rd October 2009, 02:19 PM   #22
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ioan View Post
Here is the plan.
There appears to be two small pieces located in the upper mouth of the horn. I see them in finished enclosures, but they do not appear on the plan. Does anyone know the dimensions of these two pieces? I'm guessing that one is about 30mm tall, and the other is about 16mm.
Old 23rd October 2009, 05:20 PM   #23
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Trooper46
now these are what i would like to see plans of. little baby desktop swans.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 23rd October 2009, 08:47 PM   #24
diyAudio Member

I'm still trying to figure out the sizes for those two little pieces in the mouth of the horn. In some photos, it appears the ratio of the steps goes 4:2:1. In other photos, it seems the ratio might be 3:2:1. It is difficult to tell which is correct. I suspect the net effect on the enclosure's performance is minimal.

Click the image to open in full size. Click the image to open in full size.

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i4...Makizou/04.jpg
http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i4...ou/makizou.jpg

I suspect the width of the front of the enclosure is 156mm, and the width of the all pieces that go between the sides is 124mm. This is slightly wider than some of the other guesses mentioned above. I'm basing my suspicions on several photos of the front of completed units, but it's difficult to find a good photo which is not skewed by camera angle. My suspicion is further confirmed by the distance of the center of the driver opening in relation to the top of the cabinet. The drawings I have seen indicate the driver center is 78mm from the top. It seems reasonable to me that the center would also be equidistant from the sides of the box, which would make the whole thing 156mm wide. I'm assuming the plywood used is supposed to be 16mm thick. Can anyone confirm or deny this? Does this tiny bit of extra width really make any appreciable difference in the tuning of the enclosure?

I sketched up a new dimensional drawing of the side of the enclosure. It is based primary on the drawing found earlier in this thread. I've also set out a possible layout for a single 2' x 6' piece of plywood. Perhaps if I am sufficiently inspired, I'll try to cut one of these out this weekend.

Click the image to open in full size.

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i4...kizou72dpi.gif
http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i4...ayout72dpi.gif
Old 23rd October 2009, 09:33 PM   #25
fwater is offline fwater  United States
diyAudio Member

According to the Sketchup model posted earlier in the thread, the internal width is 120mm.

Keep us posted. I've always liked the idea of these types of designs- not much material needed and not much space taken up. If you can get into the 75Hz range, it should be very easy to use a small sub.
Old 24th October 2009, 02:01 PM   #26
diyAudio Member

For those looking at smaller designs, there are several for the FE83 here
http://homepage1.nifty.com/takabou/fe108e_backroad.html
Old 24th October 2009, 04:36 PM   #27
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrewbee View Post
For those looking at smaller designs, there are several for the FE83 here
http://homepage1.nifty.com/takabou/fe108e_backroad.html

There are loads of ideas at nifty above. But Off Topic, what is going on with that Baby Swan posted by Trooper46?

Last edited by loninappleton; 24th October 2009 at 04:37 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 26th October 2009, 02:17 AM   #28
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Trooper46
i wish i knew more about those. i just saw them on one of the links posted in this thread. i think they would be a very interesting and fun speaker both to listen to everyday and look at.
Old 29th October 2009, 11:12 PM   #29
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ioan View Post
Here is the plan.
I keep going back to the design shown in post #6. Does it seem curious that the cross sectional area of the top piece (39mm x 120mm) is larger than the piece just below it (30mm x 120mm)?

I'm wondering if maybe all the pieces forming the resonator cavities should be shifted upwards by about 15~16mm. This would be the 85, 80, 65, 60, 45, and the 238mm pieces. In other words, the "39" measurement should be from the top side of the top piece. As it is shown, the "39" is drawn from the bottom side of the top piece.

There's another blog detailing someone's build project. His completed photos seem to show the top section smaller relative to all the others. You can find the details in the photos here:
http://networkentry.blog22.fc2.com/blog-entry-30.html

p.s. - Babelfish translation here
Old 31st October 2009, 12:38 AM   #30
diyAudio Member

Another thing - I'd really like to rescale the drawing to use 3/4" (~18mm) plywood instead of 5/8" (~15mm). Around here, it's very difficult to find finish grade plywood in 5/8" without resorting to mail order.

Which dimensions are critical to the design? I'll assume the front compression chamber needs to remain at the same 1085 cm^3 that it is now. What measurement is important in the resonators? Is it the 80mm/93mm/110mm that defines how the system responds? I could simply lengthen the 238mm center piece by 6mm to account for the added thickness of the ply and keep those spacings the same, but it will result in an increase of the overall volume of the back section of the enclosure. What is the significance of the length of the 85/80/65/60/45mm partitions? Would their lengths need to change? And how about the spacing between the center piece and the back wall? Should I increase the overall front-to-back distance of the enclosure to keep that spacing the same as it is now?

Hide this!Advertise here!