Makizou, I finally did it. - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd February 2007, 06:29 PM   #11
tburman is offline tburman  India
diyAudio Member

This looks like a nice little box to play with discarded PC speaker drivers. I've tried to follow the plan posted above and done a Google SketchUp 6 file. Does this look about right? I've gone with 120mm width between the sides, but scaling is trivial.
Attached Files
File Type: zip makizou.zip (27.9 KB, 421 views)
Old 2nd February 2007, 07:27 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

I haven't used Sketchup. Can you export the file as a jpg or bmp ?

I'm finishing the speakers today. I have to seal the wood and wait for them to dry. Then I can install the wire and speakers. I'll post picutres when I'm done.

Eric.
Old 6th February 2007, 10:52 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

Not too useful as an image, but here it is anyway.
Attached Images
File Type: gif makizou-img.gif (26.4 KB, 1738 views)
Old 6th February 2007, 04:56 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

That's pretty neat. That's what I built. I used 5/8" plywood because that's what we have around here - it's really close to 16mm. I've been having trouble posting my pictures of the finsihed speakers, but I will try again tonight.

The frequency response is good down to 100 Hz. Between 100 Hz and 50 Hz, there is a definite drop, and below 50 Hz, there is absolutely nothing. But in my den, they fill the room. Great for jazz and classical, but I would not recommend them for pop.

Eric.
Old 8th February 2007, 02:18 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Let's try this again. This is a picture of one of the finished speakers. I had to use pink foam because it's all I had.

Eric.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dscn6670.jpg (19.9 KB, 1710 views)
Old 8th February 2007, 04:30 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

That looks very nice Eric. This design is looking increasingly attractive.
Old 9th February 2007, 01:49 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

Thanks. I used a half-sheet of plywood - it was actually 8 feet by 22 inches. And I still have about a third of that left. It took about 3 hours to cut all the pieces out and sand them and make sure all the panels were the same width. Then about 2 hours to put it all together. I used glue and 1" brads (tiny nails).

I sprayed the mouth of the horn flat black because I forgot to sand that part - I figured the black paint would hide the roughness. Quick sand with 150 grit and then a couple coats of varathane. A thin layer of silicone sealant for the speaker baffle and the speaker cutout.

I using them with a LM1875 chip amp that's sitting on the desk in pieces because I haven't built the box for it yet... one of these days More than enough for my den.

Eric.
Old 6th March 2007, 05:55 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

What driver parameters designate a driver that would be suitable for this enclosure? I feel like discussion often involves swapping drivers that are frequently horn-loaded among common horn designs. I don't know if people are doing this randomly, or if there is a method to the madness.

I would like to experiment with a small backhorn type design (I know this isn't exactly a horn), but since it is an experiment I would prefer to keep the cost down. Can anyone suggest how I might choose a suitable driver in the economy class?
Old 6th March 2007, 07:25 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

I got lucky - the drivers I had on hand measured very close to the FE-87E, which is the recommended driver for this enclosure.

I measured the drivers, then went looking for how to design a small horn for them. By chance, I saw this cool looking enclosure (from Makizou). After some hunting on Japanese web sites, I decided to build it.

The drivers I used came out of a set of $20 Altec PC speakers. Look at what's around - cheap PC speakers may be the way to go. Something in the 3" to 4" range wil get you enough air movement to get response down to maybe 70 or 80 Hz. Small is not good for low frequencies, but I only need to make this work for my den - not a concert hall.

Eric.
Old 29th March 2007, 07:18 AM   #20
G is offline G  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by eric1138
I got lucky - the drivers I had on hand measured very close to the FE-87E, which is the recommended driver for this enclosure.

I measured the drivers, then went looking for how to design a small horn for them. By chance, I saw this cool looking enclosure (from Makizou). After some hunting on Japanese web sites, I decided to build it.

The drivers I used came out of a set of $20 Altec PC speakers. Look at what's around - cheap PC speakers may be the way to go. Something in the 3" to 4" range wil get you enough air movement to get response down to maybe 70 or 80 Hz. Small is not good for low frequencies, but I only need to make this work for my den - not a concert hall.

Eric.
There are a couple of the TB drivers that would seem to be perfect for these enclosures if you have the watts to push them.

Hide this!Advertise here!