FE127E Folded N-monopole Stuffing Question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm about to complete my second set of speakers... the Fostex FE127E Folded N-monopole from the Full Range Reference thread. According to the plans it says to start stuffing with 1/2 lb of polyfluff per box.

This may seem like a simple question, but where do I put the stuffing? Do I spread it evenly throughout the enclosure or concentrate it in one area?

Also, what about using acoustic foam? Does this take the place of stuffing or are they used in combination?

I know that how much is supposed to be a personal taste sort of thing, but starting with some guidelines helps. Thanks.

I made an adaptation of that design to use with the Pioneer NSB drivers. I stuffed the back half of the line down to about 2 inches below the speaker, and none beyond that down to the port, if that makes sense. I put some foam on the separator between the two halves of the line, but just directly behind the driver, and down to the end of the stuffing. I think it sounds lovely :), and have cut wood to make three more pairs. I'm also going to try the 40-1197 (FE103) in the smaller box. Eventually I'll probably do the FE127 in the full sized box also.

Tom.

Is this what you mean?

Is this what you mean?

Attachments

• fe127efoldedstuffing.gif
    fe127efoldedstuffing.gif
    7.4 KB · Views: 430
Stuffing the cabinet

Yes the rendering submitted is about what you need to do. I put a layer of wool felt on the inside instead of the stuffing. Both treatments work very well. There is not too much room to get the material in so you may have to fluff it up and place it in before you close off the cabinet.

Good luck.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.