Fostex FE206E vs FE166E

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Both catched my fancy too :D So i'm very interested in what ppl have to say in this thread :)

If i build a horn with either one of them, they have to do it all by themselves. I guess the 206 gives more low than the 166? A nicer mid and high is very interesting though, and puts the 166 in my favour.

I guess it's also important to which kind of music you listen? They're probably suitable for music like Enya?

And then there's the dillemma of which housing to build.. Fostex reference?

If you've got corners, then the FE166E in a BIB corner horn (I'd favour the under-rated FF165K though over the 166 for these). Alternatively, if you don't have corners, the FE167E in Martin King's wonderful ML TQWT is as good as it gets for the price. Either of these will sing sweet music. You like Enya? Only an open baffle will get close to these.

The larger 8in drivers have more LF (though the above will give you a solid 35Hz at least), but sacrifice a bit of smoothness in the mids and HF. If you wanted an 8in Fostex, the FE207E is a better bet IMO than the FE206E, which I always found a bit shouty. Either of them in Martin's MLTL should do nicely.

If you fancy a normal Fostex 'horn', I'd use the ones for the FE166 and FE206 ES-Rs rather than the hideous stock ones. They look nicer, and according to the MathCad sims I ran I while back, they should still work fine. Alternatively, they could also go in the ESigma horns without many problems -you just might need to juggle the Comprssion Chamber size a bit.

Best
Scott

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.