Any audio difference between FE166 and FE167

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I understand the main difference between 166 and 167 is that the latter is shielded and some differences in Thiele and Small parameters.

Anyone has anyone make comparisons between these 2 drivers in terms of audio quality.

Using T&S parameters these 2 drivers use different box size. Making comparison using the same box size is unfair...

Any comments anyone...

In general, the FE167E would be recommended for simple vented box, while the FE166E would be recommended for rear-loaded horn. You can add series resistance to FE166E to raise Qts, but this robs efficiency.

An interesting compromise would be a Bigger Is Better enclosure:
http://www.zillaspeak.com/bib-fostex.asp

Notice that freq response for two drivers in the same cabinet is very similar. The FE167E has a slightly nicer more gradual roll-off.

FE166E has heavier magnet, one might argue this gives better transient response. If put in rear-loaded horn, this may be a valid point, but we're not talking about a simple box then.

Re: More feedback please...

Raphael Shaw said:
Hey, can we get this one going again.
I was just trying to choose between these two for something a TQWT or a TL, or something in between.

-Raphael

a short answer would be that the FE167 is more flexible in terms of types of enclosure in which it can deliver decent to outstanding performance

If you're looking for a simple build that doesn't occupy a lot of floor space, something like an MLTL with the 167 would be a pretty safe bet. (e.g. Bob Brines' famous FT1600, etc)

There are also some enclosure designs that load the driver in a different mode, and entail more elaborate construction, (e.g. Planet10 Fonken167, Scottmoose BVRs- Chili / Kimchi Chang, BIB chamberless BLH, etc )

altogether there are just too many design philosophies and performance expectations to answer the oft asked question "that's nice, but which one is best ?", other than to say - there isn't one

Re: Re: Re: More feedback please...

Alex from Oz said:

Yeah like the Decware Corner Horns - which suit the FE167E.
I've had the plans for about 12 months but the woodwork is rather intimidating for me! :bawling:

Cheers,

Alex

indeed - and to work properly at all they need a dedicated room with corners in just the right places - fine for someone like Steve, but a definite deal breaker for a lot of folks.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.