Audio Nirvana Full Range Speaker -Super 8 model

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am thinking of building a full range speaker, after doing some investigation on the net I came across this full range driver, Audio Nirvana sold by Commonsense audio.

Mr Dicks from Commonsense claimed that this model Super 8 out performed the Fostex FE206E and it is also cheaper. I wonder anyone has any experience with this speaker?

If so please explain your experience..

have a look here...

Without much searching I stumbled across this review :
www.tnt-audio.com/casse/t-speakers_e.html

nice write up on tnt about the Audio Nirvana 8, (not the Super). Has comments from Commonsense Audio:
You may want to try the Super 8's eventually. They're even closer to Lowthers. And we're working on something new that I hope will work out and be even better.

Read the whole "review" and make your own judgement (if your biases are similar to Geoff Husband's)

Dave and co. regarding yellow snow.

Mr. Zappa was indeed prophetic, and I'll take everyone else's word for it regarding the taste of yellow snow..

Dave can you email me please?

I hope the link to GH's "review" of the Audio Nirvana 8" is an idication of the quality. The last line of the manufacturer's response is pretty interesting..

stew

TNT Review
========

Partnering AN 8" with T-amp is HI-FI on the cheap, it does not give a good impression of the DRiver eventhough it may sound OK.

Whether it sound better than Fostex FE206E is debatable unless a AB comparison is made...

Overall impression is the build quality of the unit is highly questionable(from the photo fromTNT), it needs to be bettter. But for the price no one will argue. If the quality improves comparable to Fostex, I think it will be very competitive even if the price maybe higher than what it is now. The Sound aspect is another issue...

ttan98.

I use the AN 8" drivers with a Tripath 2020 amp and have also used them with tube amps.

Fostex owners have listened to them and been reasonably impressed. None of them would be stupid enough to make a rash statement like "Fostex are better or vise versa".

They have similar characteristics to Fostex and other full rangers. Superb treble for a fullrange speaker.
Typically they can sound a bit bass light with the Tripath, but even if you needed to use them with a subwoofer I still reckon they are fine value for money.
I have no issues with build quality or sound quality and wouldn't part with them easily.

Enough said.

super 8 con't...

ttan98

I have no first hand experience with these but,...

first off, you asked for some info..which was provided. As far as the quality of the units please send an email to Commonsense Audio, I think you will find the "Super" to be much better, and also their new, yet to be announced "Super Duper " driver.

I have no connection to any manufacturers (except perhaps our very own "planet10", if he can be classified as a manufacturer), and no particular interest in any suggestions of any products. I don't work in audio but used to..

I think though if you consider that the qualities that the T-amp has comes through on the standard 8 drivers suggests that they are quite good. And also note that GH compared them pretty favourably ot his Loth Polaris X loudspeakers that retail in the neighbourhood of $7.5 k (USD). The limit? can't "really" crank em...in a large room.

Trebla,

I have a frequency response curve for the NA super 8, it seems to slope down towards the Bass end, a most probable explanation for your Bass light experience.

A possible cure is to "improve" the bass is cabinet design. I don't think with any amount of tweaking will only be patch work, a better design of the speaker (flat response) is a better option in the long run.

ttan98

I think most full range speakers have weakness in the bass department and the AN's are not all that bad.
There is a peak in the upper midrange but the rest is good enough to make me tolerate this.
My solution to the bass problem was to add another 8" bass unit to each cabinet. I picked the highest efficiency driver i could find for little money, then balanced the two drivers with a resistor in series with the AN driver.
I wanted something to augment the AN bass rather than shift loads of air and take over completely, so i went with a cheap pro audio driver with lowish Xmax.
This may not be good theory or practice but my ears tell me its ok.
The sub comes in at around 125Hz with a very simple low pass filter.
With a good tube amp none of these downsides may be bothersome.
I might have been tempted to try larger cabinets or other designs before taking this route, but limited space, spare time and WAF came into play.
There will always be criticism of a new product that threatens to unsettle existing fullrange owners. More so when its cheap.

8" FR

i have testet
Lowther DX2, PM6C, PM6A, PM2A
and Fostex 206E and Nirvana 8" and B200 Visaton

all drivers need "help" below ca. ~800 Hz

B200 is only from 100 Hz available, (high Qts)
but as a satellit the best performance specially
for classic, may be because of non whizzer.

The next is the Nirvana, less "zischilig" than the Fostex.
The Fostex 206 E is a good choise, a good stroke of 1,5 mm.

All Lowthers are bad because: membran construction
not made for high SPL, very shouty special at 10 kHz,
the weakest claytone range, and the worse thing is
the prize, impossible at nower days.

Testing over the last 25 years, look my solutions to
get it work: http://www.hm-moreart.de/70.htm

Fertin, AER

Fertin,
i try to test one, but forest audio won´t send a sample or
testing driver, the prize and data are near by Lowther.

AER
i know P.Keller very well, met him several times,
the last 3 years i am asking for a sample or testing
driver.
The prize is not realistic much to high for what you
get, may be this is the cause why he won´t test it
in my satellites, he is afraid of the testing result and
the measurements, it is bad close to Lowther
but double prize.

Look this measurement from LP Magazin

Attachments

• aer1lp magazinkl.da.jpg
    aer1lp magazinkl.da.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 1,053
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.