Has anyone removed the whizzer cone from a Fostex full range driver?? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th May 2006, 09:43 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Have anyone removed whizzer cone from Fostex full range driver??

Halo,

I was just wondering if anyone tried to remove whizzer cone from Fostex full range driver. When using full range driver with supertweeter there might be some benefits from removing the whizzer cone and making the crossover point lower for the tweeter. I think the whizzers (mechanical crossover between whizzer and the main cone) are partly responsible for the midrange "honk" that many full rangers produce.

What do you think would be crossover point or how high would go Fostex FE 206E or 207E after removing the whizzer cone?

I'm now using Fostex FE 204 drivers with custom made (my own design) phase plugs and with Aurum Cantus G2Se as supertweeters.

I'm considering trying to remove whizzers and see what happens. But first I have to make my system three ways adding soem 15" bass drivers what I've been planning for a quite long time. Without additional bass drivers I'm afraid to loose some bass after removing whizzers what will make the cone lighter and change the Qts of the driver.

Bartek

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 1st June 2006, 11:00 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Hi Bartek,

i removed the wizzer from the FE206E and installed a phaseplug. After this modification the driver misses a n y highs. 'Shouting' is reduced too but the sound isn't good any longer (for fr-use). So don't remove the wizzer if you won't destroy your FE204.

Markus
Old 1st June 2006, 02:32 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
i removed the wizzer from the FE206E and installed a phaseplug. After this modification the driver misses a n y highs. 'Shouting' is reduced too but the sound isn't good any longer (for fr-use). So don't remove the wizzer if you won't destroy your FE204.
Thanks for your response. As I said I'm using Aurum Cantus ribbon tweeters with my Fostex drivers. I just thought removing whizzers and cutting the tweeter lower will make the overall sound better, as some of the signature of whizzer will be gone. I don't want to use Fostex full range after removing the whizzer and I don't care about it's highs, that after all with phase plug or without it just suck

How high do you think your Fostex go without the whizzers? Do you think they make it to some 5 Khz?

I was just wondering what would be the aproximate crossover point after removing the whizzers.

Bartek
Old 1st June 2006, 05:36 PM   #4
sumacSK is offline sumacSK  Slovakia
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to sumacSK
Hi!

Look here: http://fullrangedriver.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=373
Good looking modified driver.

Martin
Old 1st June 2006, 07:15 PM   #5
DIAR is offline DIAR  Finland
diyAudio Member

I would try a few tricks first. First try putting thin slice of synthetic "cotton wool" between the cone and the whizzer cone. Experiment with different amounts.

I have tried this with my Zu Druid speakers. They don't shout one bit but this tweak changes tone and sound staging quite significantly. At the moment I use very thin slice.

I suggest reading this:
Whizzer Dampening
http://www.lowther-america.com/tweaks.htm
Old 2nd June 2006, 06:13 AM   #6
felixx is offline felixx  Romania
diyAudio Member

What do you think about Steve Deckert from decware.com about Fe 206 modded?It have a good work?It is a good story to read .......in the end the modded 206 don't have that peak in 3khz region.........but this is from paper........any thougts?
Old 2nd June 2006, 12:52 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the answers

I tried many tricks when I was using Fostex full range. But as I said.

I DON'T USE IT FULL RANGE ANY MORE!

I know some tricks, maybe all of them have big influance on midrange, not only highs. But since I'm not interested in the highs and don't want to use it full range I would really love to know:

1. What would be aproximate crossover point after removing the whizzer?

2. How high would Fostex play (go) without it?

Anyone have a clue??
Old 2nd June 2006, 01:29 PM   #8
sumacSK is offline sumacSK  Slovakia
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to sumacSK
Hi,

Try to do a search for fe206e on high efficiency forum. Some time ago a have read there about a guy who cutted off the whizzer and use the driver now only with visaton super tweeter... I don't kow the crossover frequency but this twweter don't go below 7 KHz...

Good luck Martin

Hide this!Advertise here!