The Tale of Two Tangbands - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th November 2002, 08:08 AM   #1
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Default The Tale of Two Tangbands

Here is a picture of the Tangband i won & the escapee from a large OEM deal (serial #s 1 & 2) that i bought (luckly before about 4 other interested parties). These will be the centrepiece of a couple speaker projects to see what can be rung out of them.

Click the image to open in full size.

The 1st one, i believe, is essentially the unpainted version of the 3" used in the Elf's (see the Pacific North West DIY thread), and the 2nd is the same concept pushed to the max -- skeletal cast frame, neo magnet w heatsinks, spider vented both sides, trick cone material, aluminum phase plug.

Suggestions & ideas are solicited -- i have some ideas in my head, and have mentioned them on a couple other threads, but i won't predudice any ideas by mentioning them yet. I'd like to keep parts to what i have lying around (which shouldn't be too much of a hardship).

dave
Old 27th November 2002, 11:20 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

What is the size of the one with the aluminum frame? I have 4 pcs. of the only Nd-magnet 3" thing available from Partsexpress. It has a round frame and no phase plug, Kapton VC former and vented spider. The membrane is PPM (whatever that is), slightly opaque and definitely brownish. Looks like chitine (the stuff insects are made from), but I don't quite believe it.

Put into an old wine carton with no XO at all, sound is amazing. Measurements to follow.

What worries me a little is that the theoretical X_lin is only 0.5 mm (actually, it is an underhung design). I'd say from looking at it from various rotations that the flatness of the spider is no better than that. How do they adjust them mechanically so that the VC ends are exactly 0.5 mm away from each end of the gap?

Eric
Old 27th November 2002, 05:33 PM   #3
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by capslock
What is the size of the one with the aluminum frame?
Actual frame size is 3 1/2" (90 mm)

Quote:
What worries me a little is that the theoretical X_lin is only 0.5 mm
For the nice one, i'd really like to add active woofers. A pr of 6s or a single 8 on each. XO somewhere in the 180-300 range.

dave
Old 27th November 2002, 07:20 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Actually, the German magazine HobbyHifi had a mini-TL project called Picolino which used the Vifa 10 BGS 119 back in issue 4/01. According to letters to the editor, it was quite stunning. I have pretty poor copies of the article. Maybe somebody else can post scans of the most relevant pics?

Eric
Old 27th November 2002, 07:22 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

What is the model name of the 90 mm Al frame device? Is it available through either of the two US distributors?

Eric
Old 27th November 2002, 08:26 PM   #6
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
What is the model name of the 90 mm Al frame device? Is it available through either of the two US distributors?
W3-786SE. According to Al, these were deigned by the OEM & TB, and the OEM secured exclusive access to them with a very large order. The only source may be cannabilizing their product when it ships (i don't see anything on their site -- i have been restricted from saying who the OEM is (in public)).

dave
Old 29th November 2002, 10:46 AM   #7
navin is offline navin  India
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to navin Send a message via Yahoo to navin
1. what are the spes. how is the dispersion?
2. might be a fix for Lynn's requirement if used in multiples :-)
3. how many do you have? if TB ever gets out in public the white ones) i'd consider them for HT/AV systems

if you have 8 or so you can set them up as dipole with a push push sub below that. actaully if you have 6 you can still manage a dipole. 2 in front.

if you have access to a whole bunch i am thinking line source TL.

many years ago some one in speaker builder or voice coil (this was 1985 or 86) built a 4 in line TL. I am not sure if it was folded but rule says you cant do that.

if you have enough to do a 4 in line TL and if you can open the TL to the rear you can actually have TL and dipole in one swoop :-)

BTW i finally got fiberglass bonded resin to work. ran out of resin so have to wait till monday for more. will send pics when fiberglass and open cell foam is in place. also completed 7294 based sub amp. 600VA tranny, 10A diaode bridge, 4 x 10000uf caps.
Old 29th November 2002, 03:32 PM   #8
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by navin
if you have 8 or so
I have 1 pr of each.

dave
Old 29th November 2002, 04:00 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

How about tower speakers for a doll-house?
Old 30th November 2002, 03:19 AM   #10
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
How about tower speakers for a doll-house?
Maybe for a doll's house

I am zeroing in on something for the readily available W3-879. I'm thinking of TL loading the Tangband using Rick Shultz's alphaTL methodology (can't tell you much about that until after it gets published in aXp -- but it is cool), XOing, at the bafflestep) to a pair of Adire AV3s i have kicking about -- they will be in a vented enclosure. With the box i'm planning -- this will be a box that should fit in the nonrectangular box thread -- i hope to get the XO in the 225-300 Hz range, and i'll try series XO 1st.

You may ask why XO a single 3 to twin 3s. The AV3s have 6x the xMax of the TB so the pr should move 12x the air.

The more exotic driver i am still throwing a lot of ideas around.

dave

Hide this!Advertise here!