A few questions for a newbie.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Well after much reading and research i have decided to get into the world of speaker building. I have a few questions though and i am sorry if they seem stupid.

I have pretty much decided on the FE206E drivers in a bass reflex design. I decided on this as opposed to horn purley because i do not have the tools availible or the resources ($$$) to build a good horn design.

1. Is the use of a tweeter a good idea with these? On the fostex pdf file for this it shows that a tweeter can be usedhttp://www.madisound.com/pdf/fostexdrivers/FE206E.pdf . The electrical diagram only shows the use of a 1khz capacitator and no crossover circuit joining the postive circuit of the tweeter to the driver. Would this still sound good?

2. I have a new redgum RGi120 amplifier that puts 120ohm @8ohm into each chanel. Will this kill the Fostex Drivers?

3. Any other hints ideas?

Cheers
Warnsey

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Warnsey,

I haven't used that driver before so others may be able to help more than I.

1. The use of a tweeter is really up to you. You may wish to purchase the 206E and see if that's enough or if you have to add a tweeter later.

2. What do you mean by a 1kHz capacitor? I noticed on the web page that they recommend a 0.68 to 0.33 mfd. This is using it as a super tweeter. Highest of highs only.

3. The amp will not blow the speakers if you use it wisely. It is safer to use a strong amp and hold back on the volume control than it is to have an under powered amp that you try and squeeze too much out of. Distortion from an overdriven amp can be deadly to a speaker.

Thanks for all this help.

I have another silly question. I have read alot about once people finish their speakers and they are not happy with them they add a crossover or correction circuit to smooth out frquency's etc. My question is how do they do this when the box is sealed shut. And yes i am expecting a really obvious duh... answer.

Warnsey, I`ve had the Fe206E in both Bass Reflex and Horns I would recommend the FE207E if you want to build a reflex cabinet. The Fostex recommended double Bass Reflex to maximize the lower octaves. My first single driver project was the Commonsense Audio MKII bass reflex boxes and the FE206E were a little lean in the bass, but good detail and imaging. As I became more confident with woodworking I built the Fostex recommended horn for the FE206E and the horns sounded much better. Not wanting to waste the reflex boxes, I bought a pair of FE207E and put them in the bass reflex boxes. The FE207E`s sounded much better than the 206`s in that box ( which kinda gets poo-pooed on this site). I plan to build the Fostex double bass reflex next winter, I just finished the horns for the FE206ESR nad they were alot of work, but to my ears, the best suonding speakers I`ve ever owned, and I`ve owned alot of highly rated commercial designs like LS3/5a`s, Proac Response 1SC`s and many others. I have had alot of satisfaction building some of the Fostex recommended plans. So here you have another opinion. P.S. I hate to dump on the Commonsense plans,because that`s what started me with single driver speakers, but the Fostex recommended plans sound better to me.

Welcome Warnsey

I read you post and reminded me of similar questions I had when I started out in my first the DIY speaker project (not so long ago). Worried about $$$$, tuning, xovers, tweeters etc check out the BIB thread. The build is easy, no electronics, dims are available from godzilla's website and there are many good few pages of hints/tips/testimony form other DIYers. My pair cost less than a pair of new 108EZs, you need 6 bits of wood for each cabinet and the toughest part is making the hole for the driver. Don't know if it would suit your needs but might be worth a look if it is your first go. I benefited for sure from the help available there and very pleased with the result.

A+

w.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.