Outdoor setup problem...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
http://www.partsexpress.com/webpage...=3&ObjectGroup_ID=558&sm=1&so=2&filter=dayton

not that loud, im not sure how loud youre aiming to go? and how far will most of the peoepl be away frmo the speakers? those MAY cut it. Also how much ambient noise will they be competing with.

also if you end up building an amp( i suggest a 41hz model over a qkits model, either way youre going to have to find a toroidal for it though), you could use these http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=302-002

they look like they could do the job with SPL to spare.

Any thoughts on the Qkit amp?

It is prebuilt, which is good cause the more time I spend on it the more money I would loose... Kinda pointless. Wouldn't I be able to run most regular sets of outdoor speakers off the Qkit amp? I want it to run mono which the qkit does.

I am not worried about speakers there are tonnes of models.

The speakers need to compete with busy street noise from cars etc. I dont want it blaring but a good medium so people 15-20ft away could hear nicely.

The speakers I was thinking were 45 watts which 2 of them on the Qkit would reach 90 out of 100 which sounds good to me.

Thoughts?

Would regular speakers work with the qkit? Is the qkit any good? Would the qkit get hot at all? (It would be running in the winter probably like 0 - negative 20 deg. C)

Thanks,
Zac

Zac

For speakers use EV SX series such as ebay number 7418203582

For amplifier power use TOA 906 or 912 906 is 60 watts and 912 is 120 watts.

A used TOA mixer amplifier can be purchased reasonably and is a good reliable commercial piece of gear.

The EV speakers are very reliable and will with stand the elements. I suggest mounting them on telescoping tripod stands.

I'm guessing you didnt read the previous posts?

It needs to be really small, all of it, and I also only want something that will last 3 months, after that I'm throwing it out...

Thanks for the help though, if I would be able to keep the equiptment I would definately use those...

Zac

P.S. Anyone have thoughts on my previous post?

How much do you have to spend?

The Toa amplifier used will be cheaper than any kit you are going to dig up. It will be reliable and can be purchased for less than $100

What do you need for inputs? a mic? a CD player? both?

The EV's are dirt cheap for price. When you are finished with them you can either keep them or sell them.

I have specified commercial gear that can be purchased reasonable so its up to you. You may be able to purchase junk cheaper but do remember this when it dies.

I have about up to 200$ but like I said, I have to throw them out, or not me atleast. The rich person that I am doing it for is actually buying everything, and they WILL throw it out after the season. It is a contract for the season, putting the money into something that will last longer is pointless for me and my business..

My source is a stereo headphone jack.

Zac

Son,

If you don't need a lot of level then go with your Technomad 70 volt speakers. Not the 8 ohm version. No, they are not powered.

By using 70 volt speakers tapped at (8 watts) for the Technomad you will only need 18ga wire to feed the speakers.

You can probably get/make some stands/pole mounts to get them in the air.

The amplifier needs to be one that will make it thru your time frame so drop the idea of the kit amps OK?

Do a search on ebay for a used peavey UMA series amplifier such as a UMA35T. This model will be a 35 watt 70 volt amplifier.
As I mentioned earlier a TOA 906 or 912 would work very well as would a 903 series.

Just in case you wondering ... I do very large commercial systems for a living.

Welcome to the world of commercial audio where nothing is as cheap as you would like it to be.

The amp is too big, it looks like standard 17" by 17"? Is it actually small?

It needs to fit into an outdoor weather proof box and it will be all mounted in the air, has to be off the ground.

This is why I was looking at the kit amps, the qkits were prebuilt, wouldnt they last the 3 months? They are nice and small and seem like they would work perfectly.

Thanks,
Zac

Burnedfingers, TOA amps, no question about quality or reliability. We have dozens and dozens working day in day out on broadway, but size is an issue here. I also thought about the little RDL bricks, they have one now that will push 25w.
Zac, as far as heat, it's hard to tell. It will depend on how hard you drive the amp and outside temp, etc. You mentioned that the system would be operating in the winter, so that will help.

RDL has a reliability problem and cannot be counted upon.

A smaller TOA BG10 or something a long that line would work well also.

Stay away from Paso or the UM10, UMA12 series Peavey because they are junk.

Your headphone out from what? It will not be capable of driving the speakers direct. You will need an amplifier.

The Qkit needs a power supply, which can be a project in itself. Then again most kit amplifiers will need a power supply of some type.
The short answer is yes, the headphone amp can be used but it's not the best way. A simple resistor pad network would knock the level down and be better for the front end of the amp.

That being said, if the source is a portable device you really should run through a DI box or an input transformer that will raise the impedance and drop the level.
Remembered a few speakers at work tonight, JBL Control 25, EV SX as recommended by burnedfingers- great cabinets, and EV EVID various models available- smaller pod looking cabinets that do a good job for background music.

The description read that it needed a dual 50v supply, but it's a bad description- I think they mean +/- 25v because it says later that any transformer up to 35v can be used, but this could also be an error. They also do not state the impedance at which it will deliver 100w.
The power supply board they sell would work, and it looks like they sell a transformer that would work too, but it's hard to say for sure without more info from them.
Amps inputs will vary, but generally they will want to see 0dB unbalanced or +4 balanced. Again, it will vary WIDELY.

That amp will need a transformer, rectifiers, and a smoothing capacitor bank. Like I said they sell the rectifier/cap board so all that would be needed is the tranformer. If you want to buy a new transformer you can check out Mouser or Digikey or Parts expess or Apex Jr.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.