Jordan JX92S

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello.
Newbie here, but in need of some help.

I thought for my next speaker upgrade (probably end of this year/next year actually) I'd go for some non-xover transmission line speakers. In fact, I'll go one better and make them myself.

The reason for this hullabaloo?
Well I'm happy with my system at the moment (which is why I'm prepared to wait till next year)....but it's that bloody Heathrow HiFi show ('05).

All of the systems over there that relied on direct connections with no xover (eg ferguson hill, 47 labs etc) along with others I've heard, sounded FAN-BLOODY-TASTIC.

Can't seem to get how great they sounded out of my head :(

And I'm against the idea of paying a manufacturer 1-5grand for the privelage of taking components out of a box and charging me more for it.

The most impressive design there was the 47lab's Essence loudspeaker (imo) and so I wanted to copy that (v v simple) VTL as my first attempt.

The problem is, I can't seem to source the Jordan JX92S drivers I'll need for it (even though I live in the UK....and the Jordan website is no help at all, referring to itself as the main UK distributor and then failing to include a price list :mad: ).

Can anyone help please? :(

Got very quick reply from them.
Great price quoted inc. delivery too.

Ravon, the cabinets were the only problem (I wanted wooden ones that mimmicked the Konus Audio VTL's).
I could only find these....but they're down'under from Decibal HiFi. Shipping alone would've been a lot of money.

BIG thankyou for that link, they do this which looks great and just the ticket.

Won't be doing this till later in the year (Winter)........don't want anything to get in the way of the World Cup this summer (PS good luck to the 'orange army', hopefully we'll meet in the semi's (England)) :cool:

GeWa: Those look gorgeous...lovely finish :)

I'm wondering wether to get the drive units now, and keep them in storage (attic) until I can source cabinets nearer wintertime.

Chord Co. Silver anniv for internal wire, felt carpet underlay for rear padding and a simple set of binding posts will all be very easy to source.

Re:cabinets......do you think MDF then painted/veneered would suffice, or should I go for solid wood from a carpenter or ply? (then all I'll need is oil and maybe a coat of piano lacquer)

This is how my Jordans look like in natural MDF. Why wait for the winter? It took me two days to get them like this, I saved a lot of time by outsourcing the cutting of the MDF. I initially wanted to finish these in glossy black but now I have plans to build another two from massive wood with a slightly modified design.

Gaffer74 said:
Ravon, the cabinets were the only problem (I wanted wooden ones that mimmicked the Konus Audio VTL's).
I could only find these....but they're down'under from Decibal HiFi. Shipping alone would've been a lot of money.
What about commissioning a local woodworker to build the cabs? (Just a thought.)

Also look at the ML-31 and ML-48 designs, which are on the Jordan website under DIY. AFAIK they reach lower and flatter than the VTL, which was designed before the development of good TL software.

Hi Gaffer

The VTL would not be too expensive to have commissioned by a local joiner if you want to go that route - I had a quote of £120 for a pair made from 18mm baltic birch ply. I don't think real wood would be any better.

Sourcing the thick felt can be a problem unless you use carpet felt. You could also try BAF wadding from Wilmslow - I've used this with my MLTL Jordans and it works well.

Don't forget to add a grille or at least some form of cover whilst you work installing the drivers as they're easily damaged.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.