Jordan JX92S - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th May 2006, 07:11 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Jordan JX92S

Hello.
Newbie here, but in need of some help.

I thought for my next speaker upgrade (probably end of this year/next year actually) I'd go for some non-xover transmission line speakers. In fact, I'll go one better and make them myself.

The reason for this hullabaloo?
Well I'm happy with my system at the moment (which is why I'm prepared to wait till next year)....but it's that bloody Heathrow HiFi show ('05).

All of the systems over there that relied on direct connections with no xover (eg ferguson hill, 47 labs etc) along with others I've heard, sounded FAN-BLOODY-TASTIC.

Can't seem to get how great they sounded out of my head

And I'm against the idea of paying a manufacturer 1-5grand for the privelage of taking components out of a box and charging me more for it.

The most impressive design there was the 47lab's Essence loudspeaker (imo) and so I wanted to copy that (v v simple) VTL as my first attempt.

The problem is, I can't seem to source the Jordan JX92S drivers I'll need for it (even though I live in the UK....and the Jordan website is no help at all, referring to itself as the main UK distributor and then failing to include a price list ).

Can anyone help please?
Old 24th May 2006, 08:40 AM   #2
Puggie is offline Puggie  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Email them at the address is on their site, they should reply with prices and delivery options pretty promptly.
Old 24th May 2006, 08:54 AM   #3
Did it Himself
diyAudio Member

Seconded, email them. They are good to do business with.
Old 24th May 2006, 07:06 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Thanx guys (why didn't I think of that ?)

Have e-mailed.

Cheers
Old 24th May 2006, 10:50 PM   #5
ravon is offline ravon  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Jordan JX92S

Quote:
Originally posted by Gaffer74
The most impressive design there was the 47lab's Essence loudspeaker (imo) and so I wanted to copy that (v v simple) VTL as my first attempt.
Good choice. I got my JX92 drivers from www.hifisound.de they also sell complete packages.
Old 25th May 2006, 02:32 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Got very quick reply from them.
Great price quoted inc. delivery too.

Ravon, the cabinets were the only problem (I wanted wooden ones that mimmicked the Konus Audio VTL's).
I could only find these....but they're down'under from Decibal HiFi. Shipping alone would've been a lot of money.

BIG thankyou for that link, they do this which looks great and just the ticket.

Won't be doing this till later in the year (Winter)........don't want anything to get in the way of the World Cup this summer (PS good luck to the 'orange army', hopefully we'll meet in the semi's (England))
Old 25th May 2006, 03:17 PM   #7
VT67 is offline VT67  Belgium
diyAudio Member

Gaffer74

Those cabinets aren't do difficult to build. You can see a picture of mine in the Full Range picture gallery.
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showt...225#post733225

Regards
Old 25th May 2006, 06:54 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

GeWa: Those look gorgeous...lovely finish

I'm wondering wether to get the drive units now, and keep them in storage (attic) until I can source cabinets nearer wintertime.

Chord Co. Silver anniv for internal wire, felt carpet underlay for rear padding and a simple set of binding posts will all be very easy to source.

Re:cabinets......do you think MDF then painted/veneered would suffice, or should I go for solid wood from a carpenter or ply? (then all I'll need is oil and maybe a coat of piano lacquer)
Old 25th May 2006, 07:46 PM   #9
ravon is offline ravon  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

This is how my Jordans look like in natural MDF. Why wait for the winter? It took me two days to get them like this, I saved a lot of time by outsourcing the cutting of the MDF. I initially wanted to finish these in glossy black but now I have plans to build another two from massive wood with a slightly modified design.

Old 25th May 2006, 08:38 PM   #10
Dumbass is offline Dumbass  British Antarctic Territory
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Gaffer74
Ravon, the cabinets were the only problem (I wanted wooden ones that mimmicked the Konus Audio VTL's).
I could only find these....but they're down'under from Decibal HiFi. Shipping alone would've been a lot of money.
What about commissioning a local woodworker to build the cabs? (Just a thought.)

Also look at the ML-31 and ML-48 designs, which are on the Jordan website under DIY. AFAIK they reach lower and flatter than the VTL, which was designed before the development of good TL software.

Hide this!Advertise here!