In ground transmission line

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi everyone,

As I am building a living room from scratch, I was thinking of the following for a TL speaker. Most of the transmission line would be between the floor joists, so that the speakers would not stand out too much. What do you think?

Of course, I better make sure of the speaker positioning ;)

Any recommendations on drivers and a way to calculate sizes?

Thanks,
Jam

Attachments

• tldesign_background.jpg
    tldesign_background.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 423
Thanks Bob, that was fun reading!

Personally, I'm more into a single full-range driver strictly for music (vinyl at that). I'd like to hear the opinion of people about:

a) Cost no object driver for this application (including vintage stuff like Altec).

b) Best cost/perf driver and what it sacrifices wrt a).

First, I still vote for IB subwoofer. Even 8" fullrangers like Lowther in the biggest best rearloaded horn enclosures lack that bottom octave. And sub frequencies aren't just for explosions and dinosaurs, IMO they add the last touch of realism to a hi-fi setup.

Concerning a comparison of full-range drivers, you are talking about a huge variety of "flavors", each one valid, each one with pluses and minuses.

I think the Jordan is an excellent driver. I heard a pair and was really impressed with the quality of mids and highs, and acoustic bass sounded good, although lacking visceral punch. Here are my feelings/conjectures/prejudices about this driver:
- they can be used in small rooms nearfield in a full-range setting and completely satisfy. I am thinking of Tom Z's setup: http://www.audio-resolution.com/zhorn/jordanroom.jpg
- in a normal sized living room, they simply can not give hi-fidelity realistic SPL unless they are cut off around 150Hz and handed over to a bass driver. (I can't remember the exact numbers, I ran from Linkwitz's SPL calculator.) This is simply a function of their radiating area. Some people will say, oh put them in the correct enclosure, etc etc.
- some people have this weird idea that single driver = SET amplification. The Jordan wants more wattage, simply a function of their low efficiency.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.