FR music...When you want to impress yourself..

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
What floats your boat? What do you put on when you just want hear your full range speakers at their best? I'm always looking for new music and want to hear what other's like.

I'm not askng for the best audiophile recordings but rather the four or five recordings that you absolutely love to listen to on your full-range speakers, the ones that make you smile.

My current list: Played on Fostex FE108 Sigmas.

Patsy Cline - "12 Greatest Recordings" Old-time country. Big, rich 50's sound. Country's not my favorite genre, but WHAT A VOICE! Skip track #1 (Walkin' After Midnight) as it was mixed in the 60's and is only a shadow of the remaining 11 songs.

Gillian Welch - Pick em, but if you have never heard of her, start with "Soul Journey." Little bit of folk, little bit of country, little bit of blues, little bit of pop, but arguably the best singer/songwriter working today.

Johnny Cash - "American Recordings" Cash at his simplest and best, and an excellent recording as well.

Kraftwerk - "The Man-Machine" 1970's German Techno Pop. All electronic. A lot of fun to listen to. This music demands fast speakers, and that's what FR's do best, right?

Madeleine Peyroux - "Dreamland" Good sonics. Great female vocalist. Sort of like Billie Holiday. Good date music (she even sings a song in French!).

Doug

greeting, some selections artists and album titles
Chet Baker It could happen to you
Miles Davis Kind of blue
John Coltrane Cresent
Mose Alison Creek bank
Nina Simone Anything she did
Jenny Lewis Rabbit fur coat
Pooka self titled
Ross Hannaford Trio self titled
cheers fergs

Anything by the classic prog group Camel sounds awe inspiring - the soaring and ringing guitars, class leading dynamic rhythm(particularly the earlear albums) and innovative use of all the classic keyboards such as moog, rhodes, sting synths. The full melodic and intricate tonal nature of this emotive and lyrical music is lost on average speakers.

Try The Snow Goose for starters, a semi-classical and wonderfully melodic masterpiece specifically written for the Jordan, then follow up with Mirage, Breathless and Rain Dances. This group is like the Holy Grail to thoise that have been luck enough to discover and appreciate their talents.

After Camel I would say Elements (the best of Mike Oldfield), Pulse (Pink Floyd live), Immaculate Collection (Madonna), Riverdance (the original version), The Corrs Live in London (DVD),
Robert Miles 23AM, Tina Arena - Don't Ask, Yanni - Out Of Silence to mention a few essentials to any 'real music' lover's collection.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.