Do I secretly love full range drivers ? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st May 2006, 06:59 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Do I secretly love full range drivers ?

I was at work today, and made a bit of a discovery.

I was playing around with a bunch of the minisystems that we sell, seeing which i liked the best and whatnot.

of the 15 or so systems we had there, the two I liked the best where simple 1 driver per speaker JVC microsystems. Sure, they werent as loud or bass heavy as the bigger speakers. But they did seem to draw me into the music so much more then any of the bigger flashier 2-3way systems. the bass, was nice and punchy, the mids bass and highs all just seemed to blend into eachother so seamlessly.. they jsut seemed more natural, and at the same time more emotional and engaging then the rest. is this the sound of most fullrangers ? or where these just superior systems ?

If this is the full range sound, Im very very tempted to take on a good FR system as my first project. Which im dieing to start building soon. just gotta make up my mind . I was thinking the fr125s in a simple ported box, or zaphs silver flute 2-way.. hrmm
Old 21st May 2006, 08:51 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Robert, just go for it!!!
I`ve just discover the joy of fullrange myself. I have been listening to different speakers for 30 years, and none of them have given me the pleasure as the FR do. I did build myself a pair of speakers with Lowther DX3`s a month ago, and I`m pretty sure that I`ll never going back to the traditional ones again.
http://foto.aftenposten.no/show_album.php?aid=1095275

And, if you really want to enjoy the FR, go for tube amps too. I`ve replaced my transistors with a pair of 300B monoblocks. Wow What a difference!
After listening to FR for a month, I have been asking myself: where have you been those 30 years? I`m really sorry that I didn`t discover this earlier. Well, I`ll hopefully have many years to come, so!
The only drawback is the loss of bass. I am going to make myself a subwoofer with a 15" Beyma (98db) and with an active amp (Hypex 175W) to compliment the setup.

I`m pretty sure you`ll never regret if you do!!

Good luck with the choice you`ll make!
Lars
Old 21st May 2006, 12:04 PM   #3
ttan98 is offline ttan98  Australia
diyAudio Member

Try Fostex FE206E or FE207E(shielded), if you want slightly better speaker try Lowther...which is more expensive.
Old 21st May 2006, 02:34 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

thanks guys, I think I may just have to give the FR a try, I was just so hesitant because I hear there as some pretty big draw backs to them, like beaming highs, and lack of bass.

But at the same time, most of my listening is perfectly on axis. And I guess I can always add A nice subwoofer to the mix huh. I like the sound of a good subwoofer and satellite, VS a big floor standind 3 way.

Thanks again guys, Any other sudgestions as a good way to step into the FR side, Would the FR125s be a bad choice ? I only have an old sansui amp to run these from for now, and for that matter, It will probably be my only amp for some time.

And finaly.. I like small enclosures, I dont mind floor standing towers and whatnot, But Im not a fan of WIDE enclosures, as I dont have much space to work with. Hrmm..
Old 21st May 2006, 03:02 PM   #5
Bare is offline Bare  Canada
diyAudio Member

I t seems to me that the speajers that you have been listening to are errrr.... crap. You are reacting to the 'better' sound of the JVC unit.. the single driver that it uses is only co-incidental/accidental to the sound.

There are LOTS of really damned good 2 and 3 way systems.
The Fos-dicks's are the Fave of DIY /basement builders.. a fair sound for a low price, plus the Joy(?) of making them...
AND telling everybody about it :-)
Lowthers are 'better' but disproprtionately priced/valued for the noise emmitted...and as with all single drivers have a lot of irreperable baggage attached. It IS an aquired taste, usually one derived from the time and $$ getting the things up and running.
Given your 'equipment' and state of your experiences, a pair of Small PSB's might just amaze.
Old 21st May 2006, 03:09 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Well, Dont get me wrong, Ive heard some pretty good systems before, PSB, Energy, B&W, etc etc, as im always at my local HT shop . And I own a pair of Cerwins (I know, not very hifi lol). I was just suprised how good that little 150$ full range system sounded compared to the 400$ minis.

I guess I like the simplicity attached to the FR. WHen I build my first speakers, which will hopefully be really soon, Id love to go for a sub satellite system with book shelves. And Ive just heard so many good things about the mids and highs of some full range drivers. I dunno what to do lol. FYI Ive got a pretty nice wood shop in my basement, table saws, bandsaws, jointers, routers, all the good stuff, all of which im pretty good with so I dont mind tackeling a tough cabinet or anything. Its crossover design that scares me. Another reason I though FR would be a good place to start.

I love this site BTW, so much good Info, ive learned alot, and so many helpfull people.
Old 21st May 2006, 03:11 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

I should also mention, I have budget of like 200$ canadian for the speakers tops. not including cabinets.
Old 21st May 2006, 03:52 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Just one thing Robert.
As I understand, you are able to make some complex cabinets.
Go for two layers of 10mm plywood with fine sand between them. You can also use wood as the outer layer instead of plywood of course.
I`ll think that you will find this as a better construction than the usual MDF one.
There will be no resonance what so ever!

Good luck, whatever design you choose to make!
Don`t listen to the people who claim that FR is bad. They are listening to sound, not music!

Lars
Old 21st May 2006, 04:00 PM   #9
phn is offline phn  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Now, I'm not saying one thing is better than the other. I only believe in taste anyway.

Before you decide on speakers, maybe you first should ask what is most suitable for the music you listen to. Perhaps you should ask the FR crowd what they listen to.
Old 21st May 2006, 04:02 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Well.. thats a good point. I guess the more I think of it, It seems more of the full range designs I see, have the designer talking about how good the sound on classical and whatnot.. I listen to everything.. Rock, acoustic, jazz, techno, country..

Hide this!Advertise here!