FE206E psuedo front horn? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th May 2006, 06:17 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default FE206E psuedo front horn?

Maybe you horn experts can help me out here.

synopsis: can a small front horn compensate for the tilted up (upper mids, lower treble) response of an FE206E?

I ran into an interesting shaped bowl at Target yesterday - made of bamboo (concentric circles of laminated bamboo ply)
with quite a smooth surface. I found it interesting that the profile looked exacly like a horn with no flat/linear surface and
a flair rate that increased to a fairly large roll at the outermost edge. Not only that, but the bottom (flat) part
of the bowl was just slightly over 8" diameter, the size of a Fostex FE206E! You can guess where I"m going with this... ;-)
Anyway, the little I know is that this bowl is too small to be a FULL horn - it's maybe 18 to 22 inches in diameter at the
mouth. I can measure and send pics later. I used blue-tac to temporarily attach the bowl to my Decware HDT speakers (virticle
transmission line cab's with modified FE206E driver). I did this to just one speaker and listened MONO so as to switch back
and forth between speaker with and without the bowl/horn. What I think I heard was:

* slight increase in efficiency (slightly louder)
* more fullness in the mids
* little to no change in the treble
* ever so slightly better bass

Does this follow theory for you Horn experts?
What would you expect? Is there a down-side to doing this?
What difference would it make if the horn was say 24" instead of 18-20"?

I'm trying to find evidence which supports what I think I'm hearing - or if I'm just imagining it.

The bowls are $20 each so I may take the experiment to the next level and mod both speakers for a full (stereo) listening test.AC
Old 18th May 2006, 07:46 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Brad,

I have done similar experiments with shallow horns with a large roll. I too have experienced improvements in performance that you perceive.

One thing I attribute to the improvement is improved acoustical coupling with the air and a mild gain increase due to directionality boost in the midrange.

If your 'bowl' horn has resonances you should dampen the backside with rope caulking.

An interesting experiment with a single wide range driver in open baffle mode is to place it at the small end and between two such bowl horns. The results can be spectacular with low cost drivers with relatively high Qts.
Old 20th May 2006, 10:17 AM   #3
hm is offline hm  Europe
diyAudio Member

Default horn

my experience shows a
backloaded low-mid horn
is the best solution:
http://www.hm-moreart.de/70.htm
with measurements and feedback
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2alphornhornsatkl.dat.jpg (36.8 KB, 252 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!