which fostex driver/enclosure should i choose? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th May 2006, 07:51 PM   #11
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Graeme:

By synergy, I was very politely trying to suggest that "upgrades" aside, 405 amp could be next on your list for review, and that low powered valves would be my prime candidate. Try to get your hands on one for an audition in your system.

That issue and WAF / room placement factors aside, the Fostex FE126E in a back loaded horn is a very capable performer - as witnessed by the continued success of Ed Schilling's design (and resultant temporary supply problem with this driver ) At the risk of repetition, be advised this design and the others mentioned below require the unobstructed use of corners for maximum bass performance.

For as much merit as it will now carry (now that I've repeatedly insulted your choice of amplifier ) , I can highly recommend this driver, but not in any of the Fostex cabinets . I've built 2 different "factory" designs (FE103BLH & FE126 "hybrid"), and didn't particularly care for the sound of either.

You couldn't go too far wrong with the stock Buschorn MKI (not MKII) design - just increase the height of the CC to allow for a 4" driver, or even better the Frugelhorn as per Planet10 website drawing. Note that this latter design is still evolving.

I won't secondguess anyone's woodworking skills, - these are not particularly complicated enclosures to build, and with the option to open up the internal void on the FrugelHorn, some very funky aesthetics can be achieved.

In my current (very small) room, the dynamics, warmth and soundstage are very satistfying at levels from approx 60dB SPL on up.
Old 19th May 2006, 09:57 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

Thanx, thats helped lots.
I am thinking of building a small valve amp, have been toying with the idea for ages. Maybe ill build that first then and see how it compares to my quad then build some new speakers more matched to the new amp.

Use of corners should not be a problem, providing the next house we live in is suitable.

Oh, and i dont feel you've insulted my choice of amplifier
Ok, so you dont like em i assume, and feel its a bit of a weak link.
It is however the best amplifier ive owned, not that ive owned many, beats my cyrus straightline easy. It may however been the weak link im my low volume quality quest.
Thanx for all the advice.

By the way, whats 'hollow state'?
Old 19th May 2006, 11:02 AM   #13
sreten is offline sreten  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

The opposite of solid state, /sreten.
Old 19th May 2006, 11:30 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

Doesnt help much though
Doesnt really matter, my only amp options for a while are my quad and a small valve ill build soon.
Old 19th May 2006, 11:42 AM   #15
sreten is offline sreten  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hi, the opposite of solid state = valve is the implication, /sreten.
Old 19th May 2006, 12:08 PM   #16
sumacSK is offline sumacSK  Slovakia
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to sumacSK
Hi sreten!

I'm little confused about your posts... Do you recommend these http://www.zaphaudio.com/audio-speaker17.html over FE206E BLH? In which ways it will perform better? Just curious...

Thanks Martin
Old 19th May 2006, 12:55 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by sreten
Hi, the opposite of solid state = valve is the implication, /sreten.

Ahh, i get ya.
Feel a bit silly now
Old 19th May 2006, 01:04 PM   #18
rabbitz is offline rabbitz  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by graeme uk
Thanx for the link, and the info.
I like what he's built in the link but why that inclosure rather than the fostex recomended enclosure?
http://www.fostexinternational.com/d...6e_enclrev.pdf
I would have thought they know how to get the best out of their drivers.
I didn't like their BR enclosure for the FE127E so went my own way to suit it's intended application
Old 19th May 2006, 05:41 PM   #19
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by graeme uk

Doesnt help much though
Doesnt really matter, my only amp options for a while are my quad and a small valve ill build soon.

Graeme - for a introduction to valves, small is definitely the way to go. For speakers with the sensitivity of FE126 in a BLH, I can highly recommend the Bottlehead S.E.X amp. Unfortunate model name - excellent bang for the buck, and very thorough assembly instructions.

For the slightly more resourceful, Eli Duttman's El Cheapo is a great design - considerably more power than the Bottlehead design, and P/P output allows for greater control of more complex speaker/XO loads. I've recycled a couple of vintage Scott integrated amps using the basic circuit topology with most satisfactory results.
Old 19th May 2006, 06:08 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Thanx, im definately going to build an amp first.
Looks like im going to build a kit, probably one of these
http://www.world-designs.co.uk/acatalog/kel84.pdf
Once ive built that, ill look into speakers again.
Although the same company make some very well regarded speaker kits too that have started to tempt me.
But the fostex horn route is much cheaper, so ill probably try that first.

Unfortunately im tied up for the next few weeks with my other love, the second stage of mods (engine and gearbox) for my Karmann Ghia are ready to get on with so i need to dedicate my time to that for the next week or so.
Then its amp time

Hide this!Advertise here!