Tangband W3-871S in a bottle

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I have seeen a few threads were diyers have used plastic drinks bottles as simple TL-based enclosures. a 1.5Litre bottle with a 3" diameter hole cut in the bottom for the speaker, stuffed with wool and the stopper removed. I think most have tried this on the road to completing a conventional cabinet. However I wondered if such a bottle speaker would make the ideal desktop/PC speaker enclosure. Would certain bottles be better suited (wall thickness), makeybe other items would do (ceramic plant pot ?, thick cardboard tube ), what notch filter would best suit a 1.5 Litre plastic bottle
Also how best to fix the sepaker to the thin plastic walls which would deform from the magnet weight ?

I note that Audiodigit have a ceramic bottle-based TD speaker .

Would seem to make a great first project

I have posted my "Tangband in a Bottle" in a previous thread: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=74401&perpage=10&pagenumber=4 (post 38 and 42)

tb-farris.jpg

Acoustically I guess it is BR, with a little bit of bottleneck TL? Minimal reflections back through the cone.

Very good sound after a few weeks of break-in.
Drivers are now in a pair of Cyburgs Needles which provide more deep bass, but I miss some of the clarity of the bottle.

Part list:
TB w3-871s
1.5 liter plastic bottle. NB: This is a fairly thick wall bottle! (you have difficulty squeezing it flat)
Thick wool socks
Notch-filter (as for Cyburgs Needle)
Duct tape.

:cool:

mashaffer said:
hmmm... a glass wine bottle would have less resonance and be classier to boot. ;)

mike

Agreed, and I have a lot of the 'raw materials' too ;)

A little hard to cut though. Most of my red wine bottles appear to be about 2 3/4" diameter, though Champagne bottles a little more than 3". maybe the wall thickness is for strength to prevent explosions.

I think I'll stick with plastic as these could end up in my kids room, so need to be shatter proof . I know Swedish plastic bottles are designed for reuse (very good idea) and hence are thick skinned. In the UK most 1.5L soft drink bottles are very flimsy when empty, but I think some smaller ones are more robust -it's getting about getting strength AND size in a single bottle.

I wouldn't like anyone to think that this research is just an excuse to wander up and down the ailse of my local super markets alcohol section (with a ruler !)

Spasticteapot said:
Hmm...
I wonder if this might work with PVC. Using a 3" to 1" flat coupling would remove the taper, and it would be easy to add an internal bass reflex.
Food for thought?

Nice idea. The other thought I had was to use a 3" diameter length of PVC or thick carboard tube. I could insert a 3" diameter plastic funnel , positioned at the correct distance from the driver to give the required volume, then hotglued in place. This would provide a tapering BR port.

Tantaan!

The bottle is 1.25 liters. It used to contain Christmas ale. There's a proper woolen sock in there, too.

I had to trim a bit off the bottom of the bottle, so it's even a little less than 1.25 liters. Surprisingly, there's even some bass. Works well with a software notch filter designed for the Needles:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=1096666#post1096666

I'll try to work up the courage to try Peter's gravel trick on a new year's champagne bottle :)

Here is a simulated response for the bottle (using MJK's TL_Open_End.mcd worksheet).

bottle-plot.jpg

Not very deep bass, but a liitle hump around 150Hz, which i believe is similar to the famous LS 3/5A response, creates a nice illusion of bass.

Not that the bottle is any loudspeaker magic, but it is a surprisingly good temporary enclosure. I believe a longer line, made from PVC tube or similar, with a volume of 3-4 liters would be better, but less fun.

The bottle gemetry is atached.

SveinB.

Attachments

• bottle.jpg
    bottle.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 1,779
I gave up the bottle

... I could never find a UK bottle of the right size or stiffness, then I discovered balls, or rather spherical wooden vases. Slightly smaller volume but quite pleased with them as computer monitors with a T-amp

Attachments

• dsc00988.jpg
    dsc00988.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 1,397
Svein_B said:
Here is a simulated response for the bottle (using MJK's TL_Open_End.mcd worksheet).

The bottle gemetry is atached.

How wonderfully scientific :)

It's very satisfying to see the hard, scientific truth behind that little plastic speaker I McGuyvered up with some gaffer tape today. Thanks!

@Rick J. B.:
I'm just a beginner in speaker DIY, but I've had a lot of fun playing with the 871s. The 871 speakers I've heard have been magical, both the bottle and the Needles. There really is bass down to 50Hz in the Needles, and they're very satisfying in the mids and heights. Drawback: They don't go that loud, but definitely loud enough for me.

To tease and tempt you: If you don't build a dipole 871 BIB yourself, someone will simply beat you to it :)

Rick J. B. said:
Jives11, what do you think of the little Tangband driver? I've never heard them, but I did come real close to buying 4 of them the other day to try in a pair of dipole BIB's. Might be best I didn't.

Rick

Hi Rick,

I love them. I use them as PC monitors, but to be honest could probably live with them in a main system. I'd go Needles for the latter though. They do have a high end response which beams down the axis of the phase plug, so I just don't toe them in too much (i.e. not pointing at me). I roll the top end off a bit preferring that to notch filters which I did build, but seemed to give odd results with the T-amp

Bjohannesen said:
Hi I have used the TB 926 to upgrade MicroPod speakers, by removing the "woofer" and cross over and adding some damping.

The tweeter is still in place, but is not connected.

Now, these MicroPods sound much different. Better, of course ;)

Hi from
Wonderfull Copenhagen

very , very cute. I love them ! The problem with the spheres is that the center of gravity is forward and they tend to roll forward. I sit them in large O-rings and , with the speaker cable connections they remain still, but it's not ideal. These mini-tripods are a much better idea.

I was thinking about what you could use the tweeter space for and found these on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/40-ANTIQUE-HUMA...oryZ1210QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.