The field coil revisited...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have had a thought for some time, that it would be cool to make some electromagnet replacements for speaker magnets, just to try it out, perhaps even cast my own frame one day for use with some Altec recone kit or something. I am thinking low voltage high current (in the order of 5A) 12V or 15V regulated supply, and thus a low DCR heavy gauge enamelled wire.

The target speaker would be a 12'', and the desired flux in the order of 1.2T.

To have a stable base for such a construction, I am thinking of a bobbin to wind it on, preferrably in a sturdy material that can be mounted directly to a frame. I have access to a printer that produces some resine-composite models from my CAD, so prototypes would likely have such a bobbin, but I am curious about milling some bobbins from aluminum as well. Now, here comes the big question:

What effects will an aluminum bobbin impose on the magnet field produced by the coil, and how will the magnet field affect the bobbin (staturation, etc)? And are there other (available) metals that would qualify better for the task?

Also, if anyone has the knowhow to simulate the magnet fields of such magnets in MATLAB/Simulink or similar programs, I'd be very interrested.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.