Fostex P16 sound reflextor

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Let me bump this thread

Here is the link to the Fostex P16 sound reflector
Dampers: P16 Sound Reflector Set (5pcs) from Madisound

I also have the FE208eZ speakers and think about getting two sets of reflectors (10 units total). Anybody has experience with them? I think it will be good to have 1-2 in the chamber and 3-4 in the mouth.

IINM, didn't Terry Cain use these in at least one of his BEN series?

If so, that'd be a good enough recommendation for me to try at least once (if I ever again build a large enough BLH to fit them ;) )

If not, it must have been a high quality "clone" that I vaguely recalling seeing somewhere

Thank you Chris, Scott!

I've seen only a few guys using the reflectors and really considered them "expensive toys" ... until

.... few weeks ago when I saw Fostex use them in their very own studio monitors - discontinued ones utilizing the "funny" cone (similar to the one of the 208eZ) that I think look better (hi-end) than the contemporary models.
NF Series - Nearfield Monitors

And about at the same time, I decided that I am HAPPY with my 206eN (Dave's ones, not the new Fostex models) in the 208eZ horns, so ... I decided that the reflectors may give me improvement.

Thank you guys, I will order two sets (10 units) and hopefully the improvement will be worth it.

Hello,

I've read that the reflectors are used to reduce standing waves. Is this really their purpose and how should they be used?

Should they be put in the compression chamber or in the mouth, or both? I've seen opinions that they really help when put in the mouths of double mouth Terry Cain horns but a friend of mine suggests they must be used in the chamber only and will have no effect in the mouth.

Hi ! I don't know . The design is strange :the chamber suffocates the basket and let air escape from one side ,then the folds form some enlarging section ,which is curved at the end . Maybe some cone design may cope with the project . I still don't know what a reflector is .Can U explain better ?

... I still don't know what a reflector is .Can U explain better ?

Here is some info:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Fostex Sound Reflector Kit 5pcs

The HP Sound Reflectors are designed to be used in folded horn enclosures to reduce standing wave problems. When properly placed, the HP Sound Reflectors will reduce resonance peaks in the higher frequencies and cut down on frequency cancellations in the lower frequencies. Made from plastic.

Dampers: P16 Sound Reflector Set (5pcs) from Madisound

Ohhhh I see ! Some epoxy foam ,a cutter and 30 minutes . Mhhh I see they're placed near the mouth ,being very little . They would give some fuzziness ...to the sound ?!
Now I see ! they're a sort of a flower ,allowing air in the back . Of course if internal damping has not been considered in box construction ,these are only an aid to a finished work . also a reversed carpet woud do the "trick".

Any opinions on how to use these? I got 10 units - put 5 in each mouth of my 208eZ horns and ... no audible or measurable result. I positioned them as the picture on the previous page instructs.

Next I will put 2 or more in each chamber, but just wanted to ask if anybody has experience before that. Removing the driver and playing with the chamber is not as easy as stuffing the mouth ;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.