Cat 5 internal wiring, single strand or multiple?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
AndrewT said:
Hi Taperwood,
before you go committing yourself, try having a close look at CAT5 core insulation and compare it to foamed insulation from an appropriate coax.

Then tell us an informed opinion.

Andrew, what exactly would I be looking for? Unless someone comes on and informs us they are a chemical engineer in the field of foam insulation and sets us straight, I don't think anyone can make an informed opinion. We are all just joking around and speculating.

If foamed, do you think the insulation on coax would be identical to Cat5? They're two entirely different products.

Bob Brines said:
OK, I guess I need a bit of education here. PVC has twice the absorption coefficient as Teflon and therefore is twice as bad. But what is the time constant here? What is the rise time of the energy in the dielectric. Convert that to frequency and power level of the signal created by the dielectric?

Bob

Bob, the only reference to time I see is Vp (the speed of light). So teflon operates at 70%+ and PVC at 50%. Other than that, you got me.

Doug

AndrewT said:
Hi Lostcause, you chose to ignore this recomendation. Do you have the desire to try again?

Taperwood,
thanks for finding the reference.

Already have done thanks Andrew and now I've managed to get it to about 4 metres.....by that recomendation (missed that one, sorry):rolleyes:, I need to get another length in there as the 8 pair still has a lack of low base.
It's the sub 100hz that's lacking at the moment and it's choking the rest of the low/mid range.
If I play it at volume it actually sounds quite good but the neighbours (and the wife) would not agree;)

Cheers

Lee

Hi Lostcause,
your name appears to be at odds with your mentallity!

With these lengths I think you should really consider bi-wiring. Achieves delicacy (2/3/4pair) for the treble and oomph ( 12pair) for the bass. The extra work, cost and volume is quite acceptable in return for the performance benefit.

If you cannot get this to work for you, we would all appreciate confirmation, good or bad.

AndrewT said:
Hi Lostcause,
your name appears to be at odds with your mentallity!

With these lengths I think you should really consider bi-wiring. Achieves delicacy (2/3/4pair) for the treble and oomph ( 12pair) for the bass. The extra work, cost and volume is quite acceptable in return for the performance benefit.

If you cannot get this to work for you, we would all appreciate confirmation, good or bad.

Sorry Andrew, it's Full-Rangers only....All for one and one for all......

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Lostcause said:
....All for one and one for all......

full-ranger.gif

I would braid even more, perhaps 24 strands for + and another 24 strands for ground, using braided 3×CAT5 as ls connect sucks, not enough bass, braided cable made from 2×12×0,75 mm2 sounded ways better
http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=81950&item=7602573999

Hmmm I.M.O using the equal logic, 12' speaker cables are 2 pair star wound Cat5. This can be possibly over-kill, although I have at least performed SOME THING a lot more than simply a sole run involving Cat5. The particular high count Cat5e Wiring Services formulation produce not any good sense other than to jack this wire capacitance outside of picture.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I don't know about all esoteric arguments why cat 5 is better or worse - I have a simple way of looking at it from engineering and practicality standpoint: it is cheap and you know it can handle high frequency well (100 MHz design freq as unshielded twisted pair with low self capacitance and low inductance), the low frequencies are a function of DC current rating. Just look at the AWG current ratings for the wire gauge and run length you need. Add pairs as necessary. For *fullrange* drivers with moderate sensitivity you will probably never need more than 40 watts per channel info 8 ohms or about 2.25 amps of current with a 18 volt supply rail. Cat 5 is 24 gage wire which I believe is good for about 0.5 amp over a typical amp to speaker run of 8 to 10 ft. So quadruple it up and you should be good for most full range apps. If you run 95dB sensitive drivers and use no more than a few watts a single pair is fine. If you work with lower volts like car audio go with more strands or use thicker gauge. Can you really hear the difference with oxygen free or liquid nitrogen dipped pure copper solid stranded wire? I doubt it in a blind A/B test with any significant statistical margin.

Just use it for its cost effectiveness and convenience.

Last edited:
Cat5 has twisted internal geometry 'cause it helps to avoid low rumble, IN DATA TRANSMISSION FIELD (means at high MHz) !
Sat are cables for sat-decoder<>antenna wiring, that are solid core too but untwisted. Mutch more linear response (than CatXs) in audio field, IMHO.
Best results with 2 wires x pole, in my setup.

Hmmm I.M.O using the equal logic, 12' speaker cables are 2 pair star wound Cat5. This can be possibly over-kill, although I have at least performed SOME THING a lot more than simply a sole run involving Cat5. The particular high count Cat5e Wiring Services formulation produce not any good sense other than to jack this wire capacitance outside of picture.

Hmm. A little late methinks (thread was last active 8 years ago). ;)

Cat5 sucks a lot for audio (is an high-pass cable, due to its geometry).

Twaddle. The laws of physics dictate that there is always an HF limit; there is no such thing as a wire that does not ultimately provide a high pass filter. The question is how high / where. That depends on the specific geometry you happen to end up using, and there are a vast number of different speaker wire designs people have come up with using Cat5. Satellite cable is no different in that respect -the behaviour ultimately depends on how you use it. There is no single way.

Mutch more linear response (than CatXs) in audio field, IMHO.

Please show the measurements or simulations you have done showing non-linear behaviour in Cat5 network cable at audio frequencies. What non-linear behaviour, specifically, are you referring to? Or is this just your opinion rather than fact.

Here is a fact: most of the Cat5 based speaker wire designs that can be found in great numbers on the internet are of a low inductance typology, either via complex braiding, twisting, or a combination thereof. As a result, whatever other issues they may have, a HF BW limitations is generally not one of them. The high capacitance can be problematic, but that applies to any low-inductance wire typology and is certainly not exclusive to the use of Cat5 (in certain configurations). So again I have to ask, what non-linear behaviour?

Last edited:
OK guyz, first of all I'm not an engineer so I can't do measures or give deeply-technical explaination for you.

BTW if you search the net there are TONS of tech papers (that i read) that explains the effects of cable geometry (twisted, untwisted, mixed, etc) on audio signals.

Here's a couple of interesting links (that probably many already know):
The Naked Truth about Speaker-Cables
Influences of Speaker Cables

If you check the best TNT project (the UBYTE-2) is made with Sat cables.

Well, according to my setup/hearing experience (i'm also a musician and collaborator of a studio/live recording engineer) the cheapest but quality - and, last but not least, fastest/easiest to realize - power audio cable (amp <> speakers) is made with low-loss sat cables (2 chords per pole is the best, and with "shotgun sats" is elegant realization too).

Try yourself and trust your hears.

NOTE:
It could be important to underline the exact kind of amp/speakers/field I use & prefer >>> Class B / sealed / nearfield <<<

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.