Cat 5 internal wiring, single strand or multiple? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th May 2006, 07:49 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

With Cat 5 each pair has a slightly different rate of twist.

I use 30' of 4 pair parralleled (i.e. one Cat-5 cable) on a FE-166E BK-16, I was a little worried about capacitance but no noticiable issues with amp stability (med-low feedback Dyna-mod) or High Frequency response when compared to 8ft of 14 gauge.

Sean
Old 12th May 2006, 07:59 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Ok, I'm back. I stripped a one foot section of cable.

The twist sequence of Cat5 is as follows, from loosest (or slowest twist) to tightest twist:

Brown pair: Loosest twist

Orange pair.

Blue pair.

Green pair: Tightest twist.

The green pair is twisted at twice the rate of the brown pair.

So how would you implement one1speed's methodology? I realize it probably makes absolutely no difference but I'm curious just as an exercise in electrical engineering (of which I know nothing about).

Doug
Old 12th May 2006, 08:12 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

You simply split the ends of each twisted pair. Then once stripped, twist all the stripes together and the solids together for the two ends. Leave the rest of the twists the way they are, just unravel and retwist the ends.

Make sense? Sort of?
Old 12th May 2006, 08:58 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Oh yeah, that part makes sense. I guess what I was asking is how to utilize the twist patterns of the four pairs?

For instance, for two sets of four strands each to the driver + and - :

1. Use four strands of solid and four strands of striped: This would give you two identical twist patterns for + and -.

2. Use the two most loosly twisted pairs (brown/orange) for the + and the two most tightly twisted pairs (blue/green) for the -. This would give you the largest dissimilar twist configuration for the + and -.

That's kind of what I was getting at. I was just wondering how the shielding came into play here.

Doug
Old 13th May 2006, 03:11 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob Brines
The high count Cat5 cable formulas make no sense except to jack the cable capacitance out of sight.

Bob
Considering the frequencies CAT 5 was designed for I doubt there is any capacitance issues at even dog, cat and bat audio frequencies. Inductance would be more of a concern and that gets dealt with by the way CAT 5 is constructed to minimize inductance also. Each twisted pair should be + & - to minimize inductance. EIDE 40 conductor ribbon cable is terminated +-+-+-+-+-+- etc. to get very low inductance.

audioaficionado
Old 13th May 2006, 03:40 AM   #16
tf1216 is offline tf1216  United States
diyAudio Member

http://www.venhaus1.com/diycatfivecables.html
http://www.audioholics.com/techtips/...rCablesp1.html

For my long runs, I cut off the sheathing and remove one of the twisted pairs and braid the other three.

I do this 3 times leaving me with 3 wires each having 3 twisted pairs of wire. Another way to say it is that I am left with 3 wires each having 6 total wires, 3 striped and 3 solid in color.

I take those 3 wires and then braid them to make one cable. I split the stripes and solids and that give me one run for positive and negative.

I will be using these only for the midrange and tweeter runs. I will use standard OFC wire for the bass drivers.
Old 13th May 2006, 09:47 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

A couple of weeks back I made cat 5 speaker cables and interconnects, this has proven very interesting, in my case the cables are probably total overkill 24 strands in total using three lengths still in the blue sheath. All the white striped ones joined and all the coloured ones joined. THe three cables were braided together.

The results are incredible, 7 people have now heard these in A/B tests and everyone picked the cat 5 as being utterly superior to the regular heavy duty cables I was using, no hesitation at all. I imagine a much smaller number of cables would be fine, just as Bob said. Absolutely no downsides sound wise that I can detect.

BTW I am using a pair of very efficient 4 inch based speakers and a 20 watt per channel gainclone.

The interconnects use a whole cat 5 with 4 strands for plus and 4 for minus, with wrapped foil inner sheath (earthed) teflon plumbers tape outside this and then shoelaces as an outer sheath. The difference these made was almost as great as the speaker cables once again A/B tested with 4 subjects and the same 100% verdict! only downside here was they were a bit tricky to make.

I'm certainly not one to be up on all the maths so I'm not sure why it works so well on my system but "Bang for Bucks" it is utterly amazing! No matter how you decide to use them I feel confident they would do the business.
Old 13th May 2006, 12:13 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by audioaficionado
Considering the frequencies CAT 5 was designed for I doubt there is any capacitance issues at even dog, cat and bat audio frequencies. Inductance would be more of a concern and that gets dealt with by the way CAT 5 is constructed to minimize inductance also. Each twisted pair should be + & - to minimize inductance. EIDE 40 conductor ribbon cable is terminated +-+-+-+-+-+- etc. to get very low inductance.

You are correct about out-of-the-box Cat5 cable. But, that is not what I was referring to. THIS is the 27 wire braided formula I had in mind: http://www.venhaus1.com/diycatfivecables.html. Tell me that this stuff doesn't have high capacitance!

You are also correct that all of these tweaks etc only apply way above the audio frequency range and that was sort of my point anyway.

Bob
Old 13th May 2006, 02:28 PM   #19
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Hi Bob,
why should we tell you
Quote:
that this stuff doesn't have high capacitance!
?

The web page author tells us all that the cable is high capaitance and goes on the explain some of the circumstances to avoid.
Old 13th May 2006, 08:26 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob Brines

You are correct about out-of-the-box Cat5 cable. But, that is not what I was referring to. THIS is the 27 wire braided formula I had in mind: http://www.venhaus1.com/diycatfivecables.html. Tell me that this stuff doesn't have high capacitance!

Bob
Okay, Audioaficianado and that link at least answers my question in Post #14 of whether you want an identical twist pattern between + and - or a dissimilar twist pattern. From what I read in that link, the author clearly favored the identical pattern by virtue of not separating the twisted pairs and then using the solid for one polarity and striped for the other.

Ahhh, but what if you only used one of the four colors of the twisted pairs to make up your cables, huh? If you used all brown or all blue, would you hear a difference between the two due to the different rates of twist? C'mon guys, this can go a lot deeper

Doug

Hide this!Advertise here!