Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th May 2006, 10:55 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default AcuHorn

www.acuhorn.pl

Now here's a question. What exactly is going on with these ludicrously expensive things? I reckon they look ripe for a cloning, but there isn't much information on their layout. The smallest 125, which we thought was an inverted BIB, is actually a normal rear-venting corner-horn (I suspect a big CC though -I found a picture which you can see on the BIB thread). It seems to be made of plywood, as you can see from the attached head-on picture.

The drivers appear to be based upon these cheap 10 things, albeit heavily modified with neodium magnets http://www.tvm-valmez.cz/index.php?i...86&l=1&catg=27

Their huge top-end 155 uses two drivers. They claim it's a dipole, so I'm assuming they are out of phase with each other, otherwise it's a bipole, and in physically partitioned off sections, otherwise the cabinet won't be doing a heck of a lot. But exactly where is the second driver? On the tall 175, which is the other one of their 4 models to use two drivers you can see it's mounted on the rear baffle, but I can't see one on the 155. Thoughts on this and any general ideas re what the different speaker's layout could be?

Cheers
Scott
Attached Images
File Type: jpg nero-2.jpg (36.5 KB, 848 views)
Old 9th May 2006, 11:44 AM   #2
barfind is offline barfind  Australia
diyAudio Member

Scott, judging from the stated wieght of each speaker, there is not a lot to them I would say. Anyway, I am keen to get involved, I am a joiner with my own joinery shop, so I can knock up any sort of prototype.

Nigel
Old 9th May 2006, 12:54 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Hi Nigel

Thanks for the views. I hadn't thought about the weight, but I reckon you're right: not much internal partitioning in there. That's significant -I've had a few ideas regarding what the layout could be, and it looks like the simple one is the most likely.

I've just taken another look at the Acuhorn site, and spotted something else I hadn't noticed before: the 155 is exactly double the depth of the 145 according to their site. So it looks like it's simply two of them joined together, and facing in opposite directions.

I'll get back once I've drawn up a few rough plans and checked them in MathCad. Makes a change from the BIB and my usual QWRs, love it / them though I do.

Best
Scott
Old 9th May 2006, 01:16 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

The 155 may be an isobaric configuration, magnet to magnet.

Andrew
Old 9th May 2006, 02:52 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Yeah, I wondered about that too, but looking at their other designs, it doesn't strike me as being consistant with them, or their claim of dipolar operation. Still possible until we know otherwise of course.
Old 11th May 2006, 03:27 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

I've been studying all the pictures of the Acuhorn 155 that I can find over the past couple of days. And I think it might look something like this, internally. About as simple as you can get really. Given the relatively light weight for the size, I suspect it's something like this anyway. Two horns, back to back, and separated by a central baffle, with the drivers wired out of phase. I ran a quick MathCad sim on this, assuming the old-type non 'E' FE208Sigma, and aside from a dip at ~150Hz, the FR looked decent enough. Could be as cheap or as expensive to build as the wallet could afford -anything from chipboard to the more expensive types of veneered birch ply or solid wood would be on. Could be a really interesting option if you have the space.
Attached Images
File Type: gif untitled.gif (3.2 KB, 665 views)
Old 11th May 2006, 06:38 PM   #7
qi is offline qi
diyAudio Member

Interesting idea.

The web site confirms that it is plywood.

They say they must be placed parallel to each other.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg accuhorn.jpg (42.4 KB, 708 views)
Old 11th May 2006, 07:59 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Hi, thanks for the great render! (What was it done in BTW?) Seeing it presented in 3d really does help -I reckon if it isn't that, then it's something very close. Interesting re the positioning too. Sounds favourite for the di/bipole operation.

Regards
Scott
Old 11th May 2006, 09:53 PM   #9
qi is offline qi
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Scottmoose
Hi, thanks for the great render! (What was it done in BTW?) Seeing it presented in 3d really does help -I reckon if it isn't that, then it's something very close. Interesting re the positioning too. Sounds favourite for the di/bipole operation.

Regards
Scott
SketchUp (SU) free from GOOGLE.

Check it out.

It is really cool, and easy to learn / use.

They have a bunch of flash tutorials (done in Camtasia) on thier web-site.

There is a thread on it here (DIYAUDIO)

Try it - you'll like it!
Old 11th May 2006, 10:00 PM   #10
qi is offline qi
diyAudio Member

Scottmoose

BTW, great job on the HUGE and informative thread on Terry Cain's BIB.

I especially like the part that the high-end Japanese audio fanatics also love the design

Hide this!Advertise here!