A simple A/B switch for testing

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
First, my thanks to everyone for their help on this project, especially to:

Dcibel
dnsey
Panomaniac

The primary reason I built this switch was to test separate speaker prototypes, but I think it would work very well for A/B testing of amps by simply adding a Y-cable to the outputs.

The inputs take the L/R channels from any source. Each then passes through a 10k Ohm resistor (mine measured an identical 9.83k Ohm) and connects to a SPDP toggle switch, with the output going to two RCA's at the output. All RCA's maintain a common ground.

Since the inputs are combined at the switch, the signal is in mono, but if you test using reference music or somthing you are very familier with, you will at least hear the entire recording, not just what is on the left or right channel.

All parts are from Radio Shack. Parts ran about $7. They assured me the switch was a "make before break" design. In actual use, the switch adds absolutely no pops or breaks in the sound whatsoever.

I hope everyone finds this useful.

Doug

ps: I will cross post this to the Class D forum.

Interior shot:

Attachments

• 104_0427.jpg
    104_0427.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 190
Yah, it worked out pretty well. I cut that wood at least 15 years ago. As soon as I brought it into the house, it warped just enough so it slightly rocks on a flat surface. Typical maple.

I'll let it stabilize for a few months and then run it over a sheet of sandpaper.

Doug

Yeah, it could warp even more. I use a self-stick version of these to eliminate any wobble for shelving units:http://knobsplus.com/ecom.asp?pg=products&specific=jrgofqd8&gotogrp=138&gotopgnum=1 If it drives you nuts you could stick on one of the small pads in each corner. Cute little project. You've got my wheels turning as I have many pieces of walnut, cocobollo, and other exotic woods I just can't seem to part with. Also, I'm building a set of speakers where an A/B switch would help with driver mods.

Nah, it really doesn't bother me, but now that I know it's there, I have to fix it :)

I looked at your bumpers. I sawed the pieces at 1/4 inch, and they finished a scant 1/4, so drilling a 3/16 hole would be difficult. You can't really see it in the picture, but the two end peices are coved about 1/16 in the middle, so the box sits on four points. It will be fairly easy to fix once it settles down.

As for making one, go for it. I couldn't build speakers without one. In fact, with all the tiny DIY digital amps coming out, there might be a small market for enclosures in nice wood, not to mention switches, crossover boxes, etc. Lots of neat things happening in audio right now.

Doug

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.