Winghorn ... ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi folks,

Just curious if something like this has been done before.

I was thinking of a concept for a small horn designed to be placed in a corner for space restricted rooms while at the same time reducing bafflestep errors.

Thoughts?

Attachments

• winghorn.png
    winghorn.png
    5.8 KB · Views: 691
choky said:
just go for it
:clown:

That's dat Sebian spirit my friend! :D

Scottmoose said:
Not to the best of my knowledge, though GM is likely the person to ask to confirm it. I'd be a bit careful with reflections to the rear of the driver -the back wall looks a bit close, but I assume these are not to scale?

Looks very interesting to me. Keep us posted.

Hi Scott,

Nothing is to scale. Just some gedankenspiel at the moment ;)

Rear will be dampened well. Serious amorphic (sp?) foam on the rear board and probably some fluff in behind as well. I'll probably angle it, instead of flat.

I'll whip something up and keep you all posted :)

Winghorn

I like the idea Gregg. If it was made as a FLH perhaps the empty corner at the apex could be used to make a compression chamber. This would also work with a larger speaker if the horn was laid flat in the corner and not vertical????

If the apex in the vertical mode was not large enough for a compression chamber a pvc tube could extend it downwards hidden behind the horn????
jamikl

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Gregg,

I already know that you and I have similar ideas about "adventures in audio" and I laud you to try this project. As we both know, some of the "wrong way" of doing things actually sound pretty good. I have tried some simlar applications but it only ever got to the tack it together, sit it on a carpet with something (a lid) to hold it down stage so I can't really comment except that I found it sounding a wee muddled. It might just have been a high Q driver, I don't remember.

What size drivers are you going to try? If you need some to play around with, drop me an email and maybe we can get together. Unless of course you need to stretch your legs a little further and in that case, I can't think of a better place to visit than Victoria.

Hi Cal,

Cal Weldon said:
As we both know, some of the "wrong way" of doing things actually sound pretty good.

Indeed. I like renegade audio work. No one follows because they think we're stark raving mad. Then when we succeed, we have a head start! :D

Cal Weldon said:
What size drivers are you going to try? If you need some to play around with, drop me an email and maybe we can get together. Unless of course you need to stretch your legs a little further and in that case, I can't think of a better place to visit than Victoria.

Well, petrol prices make the idea of more than one trip this year to the Island out of my reach and I'd love to see your house :)

To answer yours and lndm's question, as small as practical. 4" - 5" would be perfect.

Despite the highish Q, I may give the CSS FR125 a go simply because I have them and actively rolloff the bottom to sim a low-Q.

Cheers!

OK,

In that size, I have the Foster 10F3 complete with the planet10 mods, a new one from "Dave the discoverer" from a recent trip to the big smoke with no mods and the WR125's. There might be some others we could blow the dust off but those are a good start. They seem to share the same mounting holes so...

You want to see my house? Man, can I ever tell you've never been here before.:D

Send me an email, we'll make it happen.

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Geek said:
Hi Cal,

Indeed. I like renegade audio work. No one follows because they think we're stark raving mad. Then when we succeed, we have a head start! :D

Well, petrol prices make the idea of more than one trip this year to the Island out of my reach and I'd love to see your house :)

To answer yours and lndm's question, as small as practical. 4" - 5" would be perfect.

Despite the highish Q, I may give the CSS FR125 a go simply because I have them and actively rolloff the bottom to sim a low-Q.

Cheers!

yo my man........
if you can-use something in 8" ballpark; everything below that will suffer from not enough volume ( ya know-little piano instead normal one).....

choky said:

yo my man........
if you can-use something in 8" ballpark; everything below that will suffer from not enough volume ( ya know-little piano instead normal one).....

Hi Choky,

Yeah, there's an 8" I will try if the design proves worthwhile. But that's far in the future at this moment and gives me time to understand the dynamics of this nutty design :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.