Scaling - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd May 2006, 10:23 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Scaling

Ok, I have made a stupid blunder. I started cutting for the Fostex recommended enclosure for the FE126E Hybrid BR/Horn Enclosure. I forgot to take into account that I live in the states and therefore have wood (in this case MDF) that doesn't conform to what the rest of the world (and for good reasons (metric is superior) is using. So, do I scrap what I have cut thus far (all inside boards), or is there a way to go ahead and alter the dimensions of the enclosure to make up for the stupid SAE wood such as adding depth and height to the box? My MDF is 19mm (3/4 inch) instead of 15mm. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 2nd May 2006, 10:56 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

I have this ominous feeling you might be best off biting the bullet and starting again fron scratch, otherwise, I suspect confusion will reign supreme. It'll make life easier in the long-run.

Don't knock the Imperial system though. The metric system has few virtues and many vices, not least because it forces people to think in digits, not proper numbers. It's very difficult to do, say, 1/3 in the metric system, because of it's base of 10. No such worries with Imperial. ;-)

Perhaps I'm just old fashioned (though when I was at school in the 1980s, I was brought up taught only metric, not Imperial, funnily enough)

Best
Scott
Old 2nd May 2006, 09:03 PM   #3
maxro is offline maxro  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Scottmoose
It's very difficult to do, say, 1/3 in the metric system, because of it's base of 10. No such worries with Imperial. ;-)

Best
Scott
1/3? What's 1/3 of an inch in, say, 64ths? Why it's 21.333333/64. Yes, much easier than metric. ''

Max

Hide this!Advertise here!