The Frugel-Horn Project

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Cal Weldon said:
More important, are they going to be finished and used somewhere? Might we get a listen this summer?

By the summer there will likely be a whole family.

We will use a121 to work on narrowing down optimal CC sizes for various drivers and with a suitable pair of inexpensive drivers (ie 40-1197 or vintage driver) will go off real cheap to someone on a really tight budget (and it won't be the 1st or last to do that)

dave

I will build these! Cool design,shape and size, perfect for the room and system I have in mind. Will you have plans for both metric and SAE? I`ve got enough 18MM baltic birch left over from the Fostex FE206ESR`s that I will have finished by the week-end, so we`re ready to get cutting. This is a great hobby.

Or is there real 1/2", 5/8", & 3/4"?

I think its all in mm here. If you measure 5/8" MDF it ain't no 5/8".

By the way... izzat you in the photo of the alpha build?

Keep working on this thang. I'm waiting for the final verdict. I'm still busy sourcing parts for a 300b monkey, but a little speaker diversion is possible.

Kofi

Kofi Annan said:

I think its all in mm here. If you measure 5/8" MDF it ain't no 5/8".

By the way... izzat you in the photo of the alpha build?

Keep working on this thang. I'm waiting for the final verdict. I'm still busy sourcing parts for a 300b monkey, but a little speaker diversion is possible.

Kofi

I believe 3/4 here is actually .700 inches which is 17.78mm.

Sean

seanzozo said:

I believe 3/4 here is actually .700 inches which is 17.78mm.

Sean

I think that's right. It's about .05 shy so it'll glue up nice in a .750 dado.

Geez, I never really considered a single driver system until I saw this. I am looking for a lot more for my 'den' but it would be great in my son's room. Even at 6 years old I'm happy to say he would probably appreciate it. Gotta start them young ya know.:) Just gotta sell the Bose :eek: 501s i was gonna dust off for him to fund it.

regards.
Marc

Chris - thanks for the reply, much faster and more informative than expected.

The reason I have been pushing for the fe126's over the 127s is because I wont have more than 10w really. (SI) The 127's would probably be loud enough, but I would like as much headroom(efficiency) as possible.

As for the comparison between the Fostex recommended design and the frugels, I was just curious which you preferred, disregarding size.

I havent ruled out 127 folded (far from it), Im just hoping for a more efficient (louder!) alternative, thus my interest in the 126's. How would you (either of you) compare the frugals to the folded monopole 127 design? I realize they are very different speakers, but might as well ask anyways.

Just out of curiosity, when you coupled with the sub, was the HP filter passive? Also where did you do crossover? Sorry if I sound like Im nagging, Im just hoping for a HT system that can play music without being too fatuiging. Perhaps I hope for too much.

Thanks guys, sorry to sound like a broken record but you're awesome.

plywood in the States

Some places serve up "Baltic Birch" in square sheets and reference it in mm.

Most lumber yards, though, sell in English units. There's a pretty wide variability in what makes up 3/4" ply. Enough that creating a dado to fit it is best done with an adjustable jig and a pattern-following router bit, IME.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
stelleg151 said:
As for the comparison between the Fostex recommended design and the frugels, I was just curious which you preferred, disregarding size.

I havent ruled out 127 folded (far from it), Im just hoping for a more efficient (louder!) alternative, thus my interest in the 126's. How would you (either of you) compare the frugals to the folded monopole 127 design? I realize they are very different speakers, but might as well ask anyways.

The frugels vrs the Fostex design. No contest. They both are good (& similar) in the range in which the FE126 is acting as a direct radiator. The Frugel-horn is perhaps a bit less forward (but we haven't optimized the CC yet and this is one of the places that this would be noticed. The big difference is in the bass. The Frudel-Horn is well controlled, with the Fostex design, it is there but kinda wooley.

Frugel-Horn vrs diyRef folded monopole. The FE127 is a bit more laid back, and in this box doesn't have as good a control in the bass. The FE127 in the Fonken has better control in the bottom, and likely goes a bit lower than the Frugel-Horn by just a bit, but without the finesse of the Frugel-Horn.

As one visitor said -- the Fonken sounds more like a commercial speaker. Both are good, i don't have a favorite (but with development of the Frugel-Horn who knows where we will take it ... if, in its corner, we can get the Frugel-Horn really close to the RonHorn A126 with its wall, i'd be really happy.

dave

I really like the 127e and plan to put mine in a .5 cubic foot box with a port on the rear... it might be about 24" tall. Small box the wife will love. I don't plan to use a tweeter this time around.

12" powered sub will provide nice bass.

I have no problem driving the 127e with the SI amp to loud levels. Powered sub helps fill out the sound when things get loud.

If i had the room... and the corners... the Frugal Horn looks like a great design.

Peace,
Godzilla

Godzilla, I built the Fostex double BR for the FE127E according to the plans, but added 10" to the height, and filled the bottom chamber with sand. That puts the driver close to ear level and has a small footprint. These speakers amaze me every time I listen to them. The bass is balanced and the clarity of the mid s on up outperform the Infinity bookshelves they replaced...no contest. I made these for my girlfriend who could care less about HIFI and now she remarks how nasty most of the stuff is that she hears at the retailers. For what it`s worth....testimonial from a satisfied customer.

http://www.zillaspeak.com/systems.asp

That's what i've done so far with my 127e + SI amp. I added a small powered sub that warms up and fills out the sound a bit.

I plan to build smaller boxes and mate the 127e's with a much larger powered sub connected to my tube amp.

As for the crossover... there is no physical crossover... just let the 127e run full and blend the powered sub until it sounds right. The 127e's will just fade away below about 60 - 70hz... it's their 'natural' crossover to a sub.

My system goes plenty loud... but it will sound congested at very loud volume levels... just turn it down a notch and everything cleans up nicely... sound is pure, clean and clear. This is not the ultimate system but is a very nice compromise of components and price. At reasonable listening levels with good recordings this system shines!

Well Godzilla, my gf, who works for the government offered a demonstration of the actions that got Bill Clinton impeached. After that I built a matching TV, Stereo stand out of red oak to match the speakers. With so much at risk I`ll try to keep this relationship and the speakers at her house.

planet10 said:
and what is the deal in the US... are you guys getting Xmm material and they are just naming it Y"?

Or is there real 1/2", 5/8", & 3/4"?

Of course baltic birch is the 1st on the list of build materials.

dave
Baltic birch is sold in metric dimension. MDF and plywood is sold in fractional dimension (23/32, 27/32, etc.). Due to raw material cost, the dimensions are on an ever-decreasing scale.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Godzilla said:
I really like the 127e and plan to put mine in a .5 cubic foot box with a port on the rear... it might be about 24" tall. Small box the wife will love. I don't plan to use a tweeter this time around.

Very similar in concept to the Fonkens. 13 litres ported (1/2 ft^3 = 14 litres). I really like what the semi-aperiodic slotted ports do for the control in the bass.

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.