The Frugel-Horn Project

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I do not mean technical I mean if I play music with them. Which is better for Jazz and Classic?

which is better - bitter dark chocolate, or fresh blackberry ice cream?

seriously, this is one of those unanswerable questions - the only way you'll be able to be sure which you prefer is to taste test both - unfortunately with this type of audio product, that's far easier said than done

too bad we couldn't just rely on printed test measures to tell us what we should like

that's a joke

I've heard more than a couple of examples of Lowther based systems that ranged from drive me out of the room to "I like that - ouch, how much?" as well as quite a few of Scott's designs with Fostex, Mark Audio and even TangBand drivers.

As noted earlier, of his design catalog, I've far preferred the soundstage presentation of the rear mouth format. ( i.e. FH3, Maeshowe/Valiant, Victor ) vs the front mouth ( Aiko, Saburo, Harvey, Madisound BK12).

For a room your size, I'd be most inclined to something like the Fostex FE208EZ or Alpair 12P in their corresponding enclosures. Note that some folks might consider tweeters required for these drivers.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
do you think you can change for example in the blenheim the lowther to the tangband 1772?

No. Nein. Not at all.

Alot of people like these, i have not been overly impressed. Preferring the 1880 over the 1772 i designed these: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/218907-tanken-1808-tang-band-1808-a.html

299202d1346539650-tanken-1808-tang-band-1808-screen-shot-2012-09-01-5.42.20-pm.jpg

dave

Today I have a discussing with a full range freak

so, what, this community doesn't qualify - I might need to fill out a hurt feelings report ;)

After this discussion i have a question:

do you think you can change for example in the blenheim the lowther to the tangband 1772?

I know the tangband i think it is one of the best in the moment.
As has been often stated - you can theoretically fit almost any driver into any enclosure (or OB) with accommodating cutout dimensions and physical clearances, but don't be surprised when they under-perform

I've not heard either the 1772 or 1808, so this next question is rhetorical and not intended as antagonistic: is your opinion of the 1772 based on first hand experience, that of a trusted full range freak/compatriot, or forum / blog posts? I'm sure as many voices could be found to support other candidates.

Hi,

I heard the 1772 in the TangBand Horn. Very nice driver, I think better than the Alpair but I never heard a PM4a.

Why better than a Alpair? For my taste more bass and more highs, the balance is right.

If I compare to a cheap Lowther (I do not remember which one but it was not a PM4a) the Lowther has more "brilliant" A peak aroud 10k and then falling down with the highs.

are these horns good for disco music? a member of another board wants to know. please help him. he is particularly interested in Hedlund horns.

thanks for your help.

by "these horns" do you mean the FH3?

by "disco music", do you mean the genre, played in a domestic environment at "average" listening levels, or the venue - as in huge room & played at headache before you leave the dance party levels?

if yes to the first 2, then maybe, if yes to the latter, definitely not

no, he's interested in Hedlund horns.

fair enough - this thread is titled The Fruge-Horn Project, and runs well over 1100 posts, so it's very easy to loose track

(i think it's a back loaded horn, isn't it?)

thanks for the reply.
yes, but the same qualifications probably apply - I've never heard a pair of the Hedlunds, but most of the posts I've seen of them have been with either Lowther or Fostex drivers - neither of which I'd personally use for a "disco dance party" speaker

venue and application are critical - for this one quite likely a 2-way small front loaded horn system with pro sound drivers would yield better results and greater durability

A quick, foolish question: how would Visaton FRS 8 M do in this enclosure's various versions? If any, which one would you pick to use with it? If the usability question gets a definite "no", why not?

:)

-Sale

If you're referring to the specific enclosure design in this thread's title, (i.e The Frugel-horn), exactly what do you mean by "various versions"? I've built at least several of different levels of the orignal FH(1), as well as at least a dozen pair of the FH3 - the latter which I've heard with numerous drivers by Fostex, Mark Audio, Tang Band.

Both designs were intended to have the flexibility to use a range of drivers in the 3-5" class, but the FH3 is by far an easier build, and frankly IMO a better performer with any. Builders have expressed a lot of creativity with both aesthetic treatment, as well as access to the section below the driver for adjustment of damping fill levels. However, changing dimensions or flare rates by other than very minor amounts will not necessarily yield the same results.

Certainly the Visaton would work, and there may well be builders who have already tried it with satisfactory results.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.