The Frugel-Horn Project

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
serenechaos said:

What did you do with ron's austins?
Line the mouth with cork?

Robert

hello robert,

no, i did not line the austins horn path with cork. at least not yet.

it was a general statement: i think you have to tweak a speaker until you get the exact sound you want to have. there is always room for improvement. i think that’s a huge advantage diy offers.

i did build the frugel and the austin at the same time. the austin sounded very good right from the start, but I guess there is still room for improvement. while my 108es is breaking in, i will tweak the austin’s. that said, i do not think that the austin’s benefit using cork like i did it with my frugels or like Tom Zurowski did it with his Zhorn http://www.audio-resolution.com/zhorn/herukamain.html.

with the frugels i noticed a “hollow midrange coloration”. Please allow me to quote Richard George from http://www.tnt-audio.com, who reviewed Horn Shoppes “The Horn”:

“Some coloration of emitted sound was noted. There seems to be two components of the coloration: the folded horn itself imparts a minor horn coloration to the lower mid-range and below - a weakly audible sound reminiscent of voice amplification using a simple bullhorn; and there appears to be minor phase distortion in some lower frequencies because the mouth of the horn is located on the back of the cabinet, facing the wall. In reality, while both effects are occasionally noticeable, they are not intrusive, and guest listeners did not identify either one.”

he is not talking about the Frugels of course, but the Frugels also have a coloration like this. i read his review after I build an noticed it with my Frugels.

after lining the last 50% or so from the horn path with cork, it was gone :). thx to Tom Zurowski.

i can not hear a coloration like this when i am listening to music with my austins, so i do not think that cork is necessary. but who knows. maybe it would improve the sound.

i am sorry for my bad english. i am still going to school and have a lot more to learn.

regards
mike

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
LilMik said:
i am sorry for my bad english. i am still going to school and have a lot more to learn.

I think that your english is good enuff to teach some of the english-only speakers around here some tips :)

Just a heads up... the Frugel-Horn has out-grown its temporary space on the planet10-hifi site and will soon move to its own domain, where it will be joined by Scottmoose's Spawn family (and i hope a few others).

http://www.frugel-horn.com/ (note: as of writing this the DNS has not propogated)

dave

Thanks Mike,
I didn't see your post, I've been working on my Austins.
I'm building them out of baltic birch, and french polishing the insides(rubbing in shellac)--it seemed to help with some Nagaoka stuff I built before, maybe a good idea, maybe not?
I don't plan to change anything else other than doubling the side panels.
Thanks Ron & Dave for giving the community all these great designs!!!
Robert

serenechaos said:

Thanks Ron & Dave for giving the community all these great designs!!!
Robert

gexter said:

Ditto
Gex

Double Ditto

I'm unfortunately hamstrung by the lack of a table saw to cut out the frugel parts (waiting for dem flat paks) but am greatly enjoying the family of observations and tweaks that are growing out of the project.

Keep it up, dudes...
Karl

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2005
serenechaos said:
I'm building them out of baltic birch, and french polishing the insides(rubbing in shellac)--it seemed to help with some Nagaoka stuff I built before, maybe a good idea, maybe not?

I have often wondered how the sound would change if the inside surface of a horn path or a port tube were covered in dimples like on a golf ball.

Thats Funny
I have to say I had the same thought. Dave or Chris showed me a picture of a ripple effect awhile ago .
If the dimples make the golf ball fly farther then how would it effect the horn?
I never tried because thats alot of dimples!

But I still wonder.

But I am always wondering and never doing anymore.

Gex

doorman said:
Karl: Be sure and post your impressions!
Aren't you currently running Parkers?
Don

Yes, running the Parker 98's, but am ansy to see how I can make these sound, both in my main system with my Select, and also with a t-chip amp for a possible second system. I'm also building them so interested friends may chance to give them a spin.

I think if I really really dig these guys, then it would require ex trannies for my Select or maybe a Taboo for them.

By the time those flat paks are out, you guys will have done all the experimenting and I'll just have to be happy as a me-too builder :eek: which is totally ok, as I'm no horn expert.

Yes, I'll post impressions, of course! Especially after all the generous support of you guys on this thread and planet10's effort in being the hub for it.

Karl

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
BWRX said:
I have often wondered how the sound would change if the inside surface of a horn path or a port tube were covered in dimples like on a golf ball.

Golf balls, sharks, submarines, and B&Ws flow ports....

The effective frequency should be dependent on dimple size(s). The cork mentioned earlier would emulate very small dimples. Best i guess would be a size that smooths flow below 200 Hz or so, and messes with it up higher.

dave

the back side of the door rear view mirrors on my BMW (the surface facing the front of the car) has the opposite of dimples, it has pimples.
They are very small, at least half the size of the dimple of a golf ball.
I remember reading once that the purpose of the pimples was to lessen wind noise at speed (at what speed / frequency I have no idea).

Any aerodynamic types around to tell us about dimples / pimples?

So this is where the people from the forum where the Frugel Horn thread disappeared went. I was chastised for asking about its disappearance over there... :xeye:

Again, it sure is nice to have a place where generous people post great designs, and the community can openly discuss theories, experiments (& screw ups).

On horn inner surfaces, I got the french polish idea from Kloss, and was guessing it helped by making the wood surface harder, more refelective?
And I had the same guess previously posted about cork, that it mimicked dimples, a la B&W ports, golf balls, etc.
Wouldn't that work as somewhat of a low-pass filter?
To keep some of the highs out of the horn mouth?
Reminds me of Penske's Trans Am Camaros in the '60s using vinyl tops, supposedly for the same reason.

Robert :)

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Robert.

Good to see you havr found your way from the other forum... i guess Steve decided that the offering of flat-paks was too commercial and snipped the thread & my ID sending a lot of useful information into a black hole....

Fortunately, as far as the Frugel-Horn goes, much of it was "backed-up" here & in the FR Forum thread.

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.