The Frugel-Horn Project

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Progress

Hi,

Having got my kits from Colin a few weeks ago, some progress has been made in getting them ready... As they stand this evening, the American black walnut veneer is on and have also applied two coats of primer/undercoat, which I'll sand tomorrow :)

With the MA Alpair7.3's fitted, the FH3 do sound very good. Very impressive indeed, particularly the lower end performance.

Paul

Attachments

• FH3_1.JPG
    FH3_1.JPG
    401.6 KB · Views: 726
  • FH3_2.JPG
    FH3_2.JPG
    366.2 KB · Views: 736
  • FH3_3.JPG
    FH3_3.JPG
    387.8 KB · Views: 687
horn

Hi There

I do need a horn of this type without corner loading, I have a tapped horn for the sub bass, ( moment I do play with a T-TQWT and open baffles) .

I want to experiment with some type of boxes, I see for this horns I need a speaker with low QTS of 0,20 to 0,40, trying a speaker with a QTS of 0,76 did make strange outcomis in hornresp.

regards

kees

Greets!

Apparently we are having a 'failure to communicate'. ;) As I implied, the 127 isn't suitable for any 126 vented design, but that doesn't imply that the 127 is unsuited for BLH apps.

Easy rule-of-thumb: compare the driver's T/S max flat alignments. If they are reasonably close, then they are interchangeable, so 'shoehorning' the 127's ~0.44 ft^3/65 Hz alignment in the 126's ~0.08 ft^3/111 Hz seems like a match made in 'acoustic hell' and the higher gain of a BLH is just going to amplify any misalignment.

Turning it around, we see too large a cab, but if it's not tuned too far below Fs, the driver/cab can be tuned to 'fit', so where a multiple use cab is desired, design it around the space 'hog'.

GM

Apologies for resurrecting this old posting but I am intrigued about something.

On youtoob there is (was?) a recording of an Italian guy that had build the hybrid FE126 hron, did not like it and in the end finished up putting the FE103E in it and it started to sing.

I'm most interested to hear if the FE127E would work in the hybrid instead of the FE103E. Thanks!

From our experience the Fostex recommended hybrid horn/BR is a flawed design. Try what you likein it, we eventually burned ours.

dave

Yeah, I am well aware about the negative opinions of the hybrid design for the FE126En however I remember another design that did not work well and driver after driver was tried until if I remember correctly the FE127E was put in it. IIRC it might have been the PAWO.

The Korvu website has a number of hybrid horn / BR enclosures and what I can determine from youtoob they seem to work OK which leads me to believe that a horn driver is not working as good as a BR driver in that hybrid enclosure.

The metronomes are amazing but I just do not like the soundstage above my head and I like a little more output than that those FF105WK can produce.

I need something that has a higher efficiency and the FH Mk III is not a good fit on top of my desk. And hence I am wondering if the FE127E in the hybrid might work or if I just should commission the BK101 to be made.

If you are interested in the "hybrid" design principle, why not build (or at least investigate) MJK's highly engineered version (see page 9): http://www.quarter-wave.com/Horns/BLH_Design_Article.pdf

Thank you for that link - had seen it years ago when I signed up to the worksheets but had forgotten about it. Unfortunately those will be an ill fit to put on top of a desk - perhaps I should flip them over with the driver close to the desk. Hmm, there is a thought since the desk runs corner to corner to corner along the wall (L-shaped).

The advantages of the Frugal Horn Mk III and this hybrid is that it can take a variety of different drivers and I like that. Many drivers (and I do not know if that applies to the FE127E) have considerable change in their paramters when the voice coil heats up resulting in changed behaviour in an enclosure. If the enclosure is accommodating different drivers then the changed parameters have no (or hardly) a noticeable effect. This is what has refrained me from making the PAWO in the past - only the FE127E seems to work properly in it (same as the hybrid FE126En horn which appears to be sensitive to driver selection).

Last edited:
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Quick question on build. (I did not see a forum dedicated to building question.)

This is the FH Mk1 thread, there is a build thread fro FH3.

When you guys finish the kit, do you finish the individual pieces first, and then put it together - or do you assemble the speaker first and then finish it?

Assemble 1st, then finish.

dave

Hello,

a few years ago I build the original Frugal Horn MK1. It was the very first version I think. I still use my Frugals almost every day - and enjoy them for what they are. Anyway, two weeks ago a friend heard my Frugals and asked me if I could build him a pair. Sure, no problem I said - already bought the Fostex FE108ES for him. He can't wait to get his new speakers ;-) . But, here is my problem: I can't find the plans for the FH MK1 on my computer. Also, can't find them on the frugal-horn-website :-(.

Can anybody help me?

Thanks
Mike

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.