The Frugel-Horn Project - Page 116 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th September 2012, 08:33 PM   #1151
diyAudio Member

Default BLH for disco?

are these horns good for disco music? a member of another board wants to know. please help him. he is particularly interested in Hedlund horns.

thanks for your help.
Old 25th September 2012, 08:55 PM   #1152
chrisb is online now chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by perempe20 View Post
are these horns good for disco music? a member of another board wants to know. please help him. he is particularly interested in Hedlund horns.

thanks for your help.

by "these horns" do you mean the FH3?

by "disco music", do you mean the genre, played in a domestic environment at "average" listening levels, or the venue - as in huge room & played at headache before you leave the dance party levels?

if yes to the first 2, then maybe, if yes to the latter, definitely not
Old 25th September 2012, 09:40 PM   #1153
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisb View Post
by "these horns" do you mean the FH3?
no, he's interested in Hedlund horns. (i think it's a back loaded horn, isn't it?)

thanks for the reply.
Old 25th September 2012, 10:21 PM   #1154
diyAudio Member

Quote:
no, he's interested in Hedlund horns.
fair enough - this thread is titled The Fruge-Horn Project, and runs well over 1100 posts, so it's very easy to loose track

Quote:

(i think it's a back loaded horn, isn't it?)

thanks for the reply.
yes, but the same qualifications probably apply - I've never heard a pair of the Hedlunds, but most of the posts I've seen of them have been with either Lowther or Fostex drivers - neither of which I'd personally use for a "disco dance party" speaker

venue and application are critical - for this one quite likely a 2-way small front loaded horn system with pro sound drivers would yield better results and greater durability
Old 26th September 2012, 08:52 AM   #1155
diyAudio Member

Default Disco - Altec A5 maybe

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisb View Post
... either Lowther or Fostex drivers - neither of which I'd personally use for a "disco dance party" speaker

venue and application are critical - for this one quite likely a 2-way small front loaded horn system with pro sound drivers would yield better results and greater durability
Oh yup. Altec A5 or something based on a 211.
Old 26th September 2012, 08:25 PM   #1156
Ivo is offline Ivo  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
no, he's interested in Hedlund horns. (i think it's a back loaded horn, isn't it?)

thanks for the reply.
Start a new thread and I might reply with my personal listening impressions.
Old 24th May 2013, 07:07 AM   #1157
SarkkaS is offline SarkkaS  Finland
diyAudio Member

A quick, foolish question: how would Visaton FRS 8 M do in this enclosure's various versions? If any, which one would you pick to use with it? If the usability question gets a definite "no", why not?

-Sale
Old 24th May 2013, 05:07 PM   #1158
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarkkaS View Post
A quick, foolish question: how would Visaton FRS 8 M do in this enclosure's various versions? If any, which one would you pick to use with it? If the usability question gets a definite "no", why not?

-Sale
If you're referring to the specific enclosure design in this thread's title, (i.e The Frugel-horn), exactly what do you mean by "various versions"? I've built at least several of different levels of the orignal FH(1), as well as at least a dozen pair of the FH3 - the latter which I've heard with numerous drivers by Fostex, Mark Audio, Tang Band.

Both designs were intended to have the flexibility to use a range of drivers in the 3-5" class, but the FH3 is by far an easier build, and frankly IMO a better performer with any. Builders have expressed a lot of creativity with both aesthetic treatment, as well as access to the section below the driver for adjustment of damping fill levels. However, changing dimensions or flare rates by other than very minor amounts will not necessarily yield the same results.

Certainly the Visaton would work, and there may well be builders who have already tried it with satisfactory results.
Old 24th May 2013, 05:28 PM   #1159
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarkkaS View Post
Visaton FRS 8 M
A 3"driver? We have speculated that 2 might work.

dave
Old 25th May 2013, 12:41 PM   #1160
diyAudio Member

FRS8M? Yes, it's a 3in. Not a bad little unit for the money, but if it's a choice between 2 pairs of those or spending a few more on a pair of CHRs (or similar), I'd go with the latter.

Hide this!Advertise here!